1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Players Make (bad) GMs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mmac, May 23, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Have any baseball stars made the transition to GM? And no, Kenny Williams was never anything close to being a star.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yeah, but he got crushed for the DiPietro resigning, which after his last season is looking like a good deal. The Smyth trade pushed them into the playoffs. One season in, I think he's going a decent job.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

"Star" may not consistently apply, but these GMs had reasonably long playing careers:

Bill Stoneman (Anaheim), Ed Lynch (Cubs), Hank Greenberg (Cleveland), Ralph Houk (Yankees), Dallas Green (Philadelphia, Cubs), Whitey Herzog (St. Louis), Eddie Robinson (Texas), Tom Haller (San Francisco) Ted Simmons (Pittsburgh), Hawk Harrelson (White Sox), Sal Bando (Brewers).

There are more, I'm sure. I think Stan Musial spent a year as Cardinals GM. These are the ones I remembered immediately.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Watson, Beattie & Flanagan were the first I thought of. Was Frank Robinson? Bill white?

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Snow didn't sign DiPietro to the 15-year contract. Islanders owner Charles Wang did. Snow didn't get criticized for the deal; Wang was the laughingstock.

That said, I agree with you about Snow. He did a pretty good job getting the Islanders into the playoffs. It will be interesting to see if he can re-sign Smyth.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No on Robinson and White.

7. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

Ozzie Newsome was a pretty decent tight end. Turned out to know his way around a draft, too.

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Well, from all indications, Rick Tocchet is coming back into the Phoenix fold as an assistant again. Guess who wants him too? His buddy Gretzky.

Draft saved Draft deleted