1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great opening lines in literature

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beaker, Oct 14, 2008.

1. KG

KG Active Member

Ok, not really literature, but:

Once upon a time, a very long time ago now, about last Friday, Winnie-the-Pooh lived in a forest under the name of Sanders. -- The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (Winnie the Pooh and Some Bees)

Because of the "about last Friday" part, I'll always remember lying down in the "green" bedroom at my grandparents house, while my grandmother read me this book.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hell, if Pooh Bear counts, then we gotta bring in some classic Dr. Seuss :D:

"The sun did not shine; it was too wet to play. So we sat in the house, all that cold, cold, wet day."

3. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

"If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth."
    —J. D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

For the record, the real thing:

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair..."

One of my favorites, from one of my favorite books:

"It was love at first sight. The first time Yossarian saw the chaplain he fell madly in love with him."
    -- Catch-22

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Catch-22 was one of those books I wanted to read, loved it ... and never want to read again.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Not sure if I'll never read it again, but I likewise have never read it a second time despite loving it when I read it.

7. I was all set to google this when I saw the thread title. Good work.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

It's definitely a somewhat tedious read, but still fantastic. I think I've read it five times.

9. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb, and he almost deserved it. � C. S. Lewis, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (1952)

Also, one that stands out because of the alliteration alone.

Ages ago, Alex, Allen and Alva arrived at Antibes, and Alva allowing all, allowing anyone, against Alex's admonition, against Allen's angry assertion: another African amusement . . . anyhow, as all argued, an awesome African army assembled and arduously advanced against an African anthill, assiduously annihilating ant after ant, and afterward, Alex astonishingly accuses Albert as also accepting Africa's antipodal ant annexation. � Walter Abish, Alphabetical Africa (1974)

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Is that the real thing from the book or the prep gamer? :)

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not literature, but great movie opening line:

"As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster."

12. Colton

Colton Active Member

This is a great thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted