1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great NFL Drafts (for franchises)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake_Taylor, Feb 27, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He just had a learning disability. Once that was corrected, rings started being collected.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

He was. Kevin Butler was in that draft as well.

Jeff Fisher was a Bears pick in either 81 or 82 also.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Bradshaw was smart enough to ride that dumb hick persona into the broadcast booth and at least one movie role.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It was more than Noll. They had a kick-ass personnel department, headed up by Art Rooney Jr. In the early days, a scout named Bill Nunn would find players from small black colleges who were under the radar for a lot of teams. Noll is the guy who wanted Robert Newhouse in '72, but was talked into taking Franco Harris.

Whatever magic touch they had vanished in the '80s with some horrible choices.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Noll definitely gets a little too much credit for the way the Steelers drafted in the '70s. He had some tremendous help.

A big part of the problem in the '80s is that scouting simply got better overall and suddenly the Steelers did not have the same big advantage on most other teams that they had previously enjoyed.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Most of the acting career was from being friends with Burt Reynolds. That got him roles in Hooper, Cannonball Run and a cameo in one of the Smokey and the Bandit movies.

Not sure how he ended up in Failure to Launch, but pairing him up as Kathy Bates' husband was ...interesting casting.

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

I'm still pissed at Shula for trading Carter to the Vikings for a bag of used footballs.
    Duper, Clayton, Carter, if the Phins had that WR set, Marino would have won at least 1 SB.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm sure Marino would have found a way to screw that up -- then yelled at his teammates for it.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

That was awesome.

Just for that, Pall, I will listen to Cemetary Gates instead of Sister Christian.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

And drink Miller Lite instead of the Dew?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

OK but I'm drawing the line at tattooing the likeness of Greg Luzinski on my torso.

12. The Chargers' decision to trade the Michael Vick No. 1 pick was the best choice they could have made. They picked up LT instead in the first round and then got Drew Brees with the first pick in the second round.

Too bad they fucked it up with Rivers a couple of years later.

Draft saved Draft deleted