1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Great News! Latest Update) Hold a good thought, please...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Oct 20, 2006.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Re: (Petition/Latest Update) Hold a good thought, please...

May I ask this one thing?
    Why are they negotiating with terrorists?
    What could they give the terrorists? I don't think Italy is going to pull out troops over this.
    And doesn't that set a bad precedent?

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Fair question.

It's unlikely that Kash was snatched by terrorists. The kidnappers still haven't identified themselves. Or having done so, it hasn't made the wires. Even the Taliban have disavowed them, so it's hard to say whether they're jihadis or nationalists or simply criminal opportunists. The Italian government will not, of course, accede to any of the demands that have been made public so far - swap Kash for a Muslim apostate; pull the troops out of Afghanistan.

Hence, they're probably not "terrorists" per se. More likely what they want is money.

As to the precedent this may or may not set, I think it depends completely on the case. Certainly the embassy or consulate or NGO or local government must take a kidnapper's call if someone's been spirited away. And then keep them talking as long as they can, until they figure out who they're dealing with and how best to get the abducted home.

This kind of abduction is now common across the middle east and the subcontinent. A Spanish photographer was snatched in Gaza just this morning. Political? Criminal? Who knows?

5. markvid

markvid Guest

Thanks, jgmacg.
    Obviously, you know I'm not asking that to be confrontational, I'm genuinely curious.
    But I do hope he gets out safely.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I signed the petition yesterday.
    I got a note back in French thanking me.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Bien sur. Reporters San Frontieres is a French organization. But the National Union of Journalists in Britain; and PEN and the Committee to Protect Journalists and the Reporters Committee for a Free Press here in the States have all been working on this. Thanks for signing.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

11. audreyld

audreyld Guest

That is incredible news. I'm so happy for him and for all those who were concerned for him.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Thanks, Yew Tee. I'll post the details of his release when they become available.

Draft saved Draft deleted