1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Great News! Latest Update) Hold a good thought, please...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jgmacg, Oct 20, 2006.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

…for our friend and colleague Gabriele Torsello, who has been abducted in Afghanistan. If you’re a journalist, he’s your colleague, too. Nicknamed 'Kash', he is a good man, as compassionate as he is courageous; a photojournalist who has only ever tried in his work to reveal the truth of human love and of human suffering. His work, in Kashmir and Nepal and elsewhere, is here:

http://www.kashgt.co.uk/

And the latest on the story of his abduction is here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/afghanistan/story/0,,1926520,00.html

That his kidnappers want to swap Gabriele, a Christian who became a Muslim, for an Afghani Muslim who became a Christian, reveals somehow the absurdity of those labels and illuminates the greater failings of religious hatred.

I know we argue the war in general terms here, and as a sidebar to political theory. But however you may feel about this war, or about God, please hold Kash in your heart.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Re: (Updated) Hold a good thought, please...

I'm feeling you on this. I signed the petition, and I'll be holding out hope.

I know the pain that this brings for family and friends. My cousin was murdered in Guatemala the night of a national election six years ago. It was devastating. Correspondents who go into these dangerous lands deserve much more respect and support. They pay a dear price to bring us the truth and to lead our world down the road to justice, peace and understanding.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Re: (Petition/Update) Hold a good thought, please...

Thanks, H_M. I'll try to keep this up near the top of the board for the weekend.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Re: (Petition/Update) Hold a good thought, please...

Nothing to report yet this morning. Please take a look at Kash's work, and sign the petition if you can. Thanks.

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I made a few calls. I, you know, have connections in the Afghan warlord community.

That's great news. Makes for a nice start to my Friday. I'm sure he feels the same way.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Thanks, Heinie. Your commanding phone manner with Taliban jihadis, mujahadeen warlords and the SIDs of the Khyber Pass is well known on the sub-continent. I'll post the particulars of Kash's release once they're known.

Draft saved Draft deleted