1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great moments in journalism position ad postings...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigbadeagle, Feb 22, 2011.

1. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Just floating around casually on the Web (not looking for a job. pretty happy with the one I got).
    Discovered this gem ... and wondered, if I were interested, how would I handle this ....

The Word Editor Supervisor:

manages a desk of seasoned line editors who handle a high volume of copy. Ensures that work is fairly and evenly distributed among the word editors. Ensures that word editors keep the budget up to date, that they deliver copy to the budgeted length and they make deadline.
    is responsible for the professional development of staff, ensuring that the work they do is of ever-increasing value to the AJC and a source of ever-increasing satisfaction to them.
    communicates effectively and consistently with word editors and also with supervisors and key editors in other departments of the newsroom – Beats, Sunday, print and digital. Ensures that word editors do the same.
    is decisive and works with little supervision, while at the same time being consistently responsive to the needs of the people who supervisor the supervisor.
    maintains the work schedule for the word desk.
    is innovative and creative, consistently suggesting ways to improve the operation of the desk, the beats department and the quality of the report.
    collaborates effectively with all.
    handles other assignments as needed, showing flexibility and adaptability.

Well, I mean, if I was gonna be the "word editor" there, I guess the first task would be obvious, n'est-ce pas?

2. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

I tried that once. Thought an ad with a syntax error or a typo was a test, so I corrected the error in my cover letter. Never heard anything.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I often debated taking a red pen to the Metro version of the NYPost I could buy in Richmond and send it back, hoping that kind of thing would go over well at the NYP and they'd call me in immediately.

Never did.

Draft saved Draft deleted