1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Mike Freeman interview on The Big Lead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Enemies list? Hardly. List of people who don't appear on the network for a variety of reasons? Yes. Just like Fox, FSN, etc.

As for Freeman and Salisbury, well, I'd say Mike's issues here are a bit hypocritical. And that's not an ESPN reaction because I happen to like Mike and respect his work ethic. But for him to get pissed off about getting popped for something that happened to be true is just ridiculous. Bottomline is he didn't need to lie. He got caught, paid the price and lived to tell (and write about it). Move on ...

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

So what do we make of Freeman's other points?

Is SportsJournalists.com truly the watchdog of sports journalism?

Are there as many racists and skirt-chasers out there as Freeman says there is?

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

jason

if you don't know the difference between giving an honest answer and stupidity, well, little more needs to be said. i'd expect better from you. :(

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No. Yes.

5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

21's right. Every black sportswriter on every beat in America isn't being sized up and rated for his blackness (thank God).

Every female sportswriter on every beat in America is being sized up and rated for her attractiveness. Sad but true.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Honest enough? Or now that he's making better coin than he did in Jacksonville, powerful enough to threaten retaliation?

I am not above wanting to settle a score -- it is human nature. But talking about it beforehand in public makes one look like an obsessed, bitter loser who spends his days fantasizing about revenge against someone whose identity is not even known. You know, tinfoil in the hat, that kind of thing. Just isn't a smart thing to say.

7. Unfortunately, I tend to agree. But some folks do look at the talent of the writing instead of the looks of the writer.

8. Shockey

If that's the way the dude feels, then I don't have a real problem with it. I wouldn't handle it that way. But I'm not Mike Freeman. Also, I don't think he really wants to sue anybody. I think he just told a story about what a lawyer told him and then tried to turn it into a joke that didn't come off well. I don't think, and I could be wrong, he wants to sue anybody right now. Maybe when it first happened. But not now.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That's what I get for playing with brevity.

No, SJ is not the watchdog. It's more of a hall monitor who only busts certain kids, the same ones over and over. Not that they don't deserve it.

Yes to the rest, racism and sexism.

10. i know my good looks have landed me several opportunities that others would not receive.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

REALLY disagree he was making a joke that tanked...he was making a 'threat' to whomever he thinks busted him. His prerogative, but he sounds like a wimpy kid threatening to get his dad to beat up a bully.

And if it was a joke? Thud.

12. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Ah, sorry. Misread your point, obviously.

Still, I stand by what I said.

Draft saved Draft deleted