1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Mike Freeman interview on The Big Lead

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

The idea of an "Enemies List" seems melodramatic and overstated...y'know, like a lot of the things Mike Freeman says.

It seems totally logical to me that ESPN would have a list of people who shouldn't go on its air in an analytical capacity...I've never worked as a broadcaster, but I'd think that's something every broadcast outlet should have. It's not like there's a shortage of people willing to go on the WWL and pontificate about the NFL.

And certainly guys like Simers and Freeman and Whitlock know there's a price to pay for sticking their thumb in ESPN's eye. Nobody has a right to be on a specific TV station, after all.

And DD, of course Freeman has the right to be pissed about being exposed for his resume fib, which honestly isn't that big a deal. But there's a big difference between being pissed and proclaiming that you and your lawyer are going to go on a hunt for the evil leaker.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Also, on medical message boards, where I moonlight, I am known as Double Doc.

And I'm constantly feuding with BitterYoungGyno and Almost_Dermatologist.

Cardiology_Wingman and I, however, are totally cool.

3. Mighty_Wingman

Man, I wish we could still change our names...I'd definitely go a few weeks as "Cardiology_Wingman."

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

It is human nature. However, talking about it in a published interview is human nature at its most stupid.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

be careful, frank. mike will call you a racist and add you to his enemy's list. ;D :eek: 8)

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I actually post as "khaki pants" on the old school rap music dancing board.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Impossible for "scum" to turn someone in if that person is operating in an above-board way.

Freeman lied on his resume. Completely unnecessarily, I might add. That should not be diminished by any quality of work, passion of rant, or diatribe about tracking down whoever exposed him. Nor does the lie diminish the work.

But the whole package, while it includes some great journalism, also includes that reckless move on his part.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

And I'd like to meet the lawyer who thinks that he has a claim against the person that turned him in.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

so would mike. ;D

10. why is giving an honest answer to a question "human nature at its most stupid"? there is not one person who wouldn't want to know. i credit freeman for being honest enough to admit that he'd like to know regardless of how it may make him look.

11. Mighty_Wingman

Jason,

You really think there's no difference? In the version you're talking about ("wanting to know") Freeman is just thinking to himself, "Man, I really wish I knew who that was."

But what he's actually saying in the Big Lead interview is "my lawyer and I will find the person who did this terrible thing to me, and so help me, we will SUE!"

There's a pretty big difference. It's the difference between normal human curiosity and a paranoid determination to make oneself the victim.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He would so lose such a suit. Truth is a helluva defense.

Draft saved Draft deleted