1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great line, Hal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OrangeGrad, May 8, 2007.

1. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

I was reading Hal McCoy's gamer from last night's Reds-Astros game. I could care less about either team, but I love reading what Hal puts together. I thought he had a great line in the story....

"For those counting, Oswalt is now 19-1 for his pitching career against the Reds, whom he lists as an asset on his IRS forms."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2007/05/08/ddn050807reds.html?UrAuth=`N\NUOcN\UbTTUWUXUVUZTZUTUWU]UVUZUaU^UcTYWYWZV

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hal is the best. I get his weekly e-mail Q&A, which is hilarious. The Reds bullpen is helping by giving him a lot of comedy material these days.

3. jaredk

jaredk Member

A semi-threadjack, I suppose....but it was interesting to listen to Hal's game story....there's a "click-2-listen" button on the site.....the story was read by someone (a robot?) who didn't know baseball....it would really be interesting if the writer read his own stuff....for a fee, of course!!

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Hal is frickin hysterical. He's one of the old-guard writers who isn't afraid to interject a bit of humor in his stories.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I'm not saying we're all Hal McCoy, but I seriously think we should all try and entertain while we report. We have to give the readers MORE reason to pick up the paper.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I agree it's a great line, but to play devil's advocate and hopefully further an intelligent conversation, where's the separation between lines like this and editorializing?

7. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

While I think it's funny and all, it probably should have read, "whom he should list ..." since I'm pretty sure Oswalt doesn't actually list the Reds as an asset.

A great line, nonetheless.

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

Well, CU, I'd say you'd run into danger opining about something that's actually debatable -- and if you were expressing a wholly personal take on that same something. Hal's line is a joke backed up by damning (19-1, seriously?) fact.

Any editor who even dared think to take out a line like that deserves to be gagged with Cisco Adler's giant ballsack.

9. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Where's your fact to back that proclamation up, mister? Huh? Huh?

But so much for any kind of discussion. Jones nails it with two sentences.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Jones -- your way of throwing a gem like Cisco Adler's ballsack into this is what makes you so magical.

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

Dyno, I'm pretty proud of my own ballsack, but I was alerted to Adler's for the first time last night, and I'm still trying to shake off the shivers in my soul.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I am usually pretty much a prude, but I was persuaded to click on a link to a photo of a pantsless Cisco a few weeks ago. Holy nightmare! It's cartoonish, isn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted