1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great line about Berman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 18, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Some people grow up; others grow older.

2. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Word is that he kept blabbing like crazy during Cal's whole victory lap but the producers cut his mic without telling him. If that's a true tale, I'd love to have been there when the fat fuck found out that his pompous blathering about Cal's special moment didn't go out over the air.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Well said. It was ridiculous 15 years ago and it's unprofessional AND ridiculous now.

Someone wiser than I once said there's a fine line between childish and childlike.

Some people never get the memo.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

What was funny 10 years ago gets a little tiresome when it never changes.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Flame me if you want, but you can count me in the minoriity (at least 'round here) that can still be amused watching Leather. Maybe it comes from being of the same generational timeframe where the nicknames and references resonate with the days of my ute. And he seems like a guy that would be amusing over a few cold ones.

With that said...

The act is definitely dated and could use some rejuvenation. I think he does still use the Norris reference for the NFC North. And I would guess a bunch of the nickname references would make no sense at all to the under 30 crowd (think obscure mid 70s metal bands, for example).

Sort of along the lines of Henny Youngman or Rodney Dangerfield. Same act, over and over. Is it viewed as stale or is it classic? I've gotta think if the viewing audience had the same opine as the tenor of this board, we wouldn't be seeing much of him anymore. Or maybe he's heading down that slippery slope with his same old song and dance. But, with as much as we see him, I'm guessing he still carries a pretty solid positive cache with the WWL viewers.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The only thing I like that he still does are the NFL shows. His delivery works very well with Tom Jackson.

Other than that, he has gotten old.

7. donaugust

donaugust Member

SAP button, baby!

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Which one's his wife?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Oooooooh boy, we're gonna have some fun now with this! ;D

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Pretty funny.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I don't know, but I think that could be JDV over on the right side of the couch.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. statrat

statrat Member

He's infecting the children!
    http://deadspin.com/sports/you.re-with-me%2C-elmo/chris-berman-wants-the-kids-to-learn-from-the-master-271059.php

No back...back...back...but he does squeeze in a "He...could...go...all...the...way!"

Draft saved Draft deleted