1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great line about Berman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

From Phil Mushnick, reflecting on Berman's over-the-top presence at the US Open:

"Berman's forced silliness - of Oakmont's church pew bunkers, he said the course has "more pews than the Vatican!" - once provided him early career distinction, but his continued reliance on buffoonery has established him as the uncle you thought was funny when you were 10, but now no longer ask to be seated next to at Thanksgiving dinner."

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You're with me, blather.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

awesome. Rack 'em.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

The Boomer was the best at what he did, but it may be like Keith Jackson a few years back, his skills are fading before our eyes.

5. garethkeenan

garethkeenan New Member

the oakland raidezzzzz

6. Keith Jackson during the 2006 Rose Bowl ... BRUTAL.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

The best? At what? Making up stupid ass nicknames?

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

If I have to hear "Back, back, back" on more time I'm going to blow a shotgun through the back back back of my head.

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

The day after the '96 U.S. Open at Oakland Hills, a selected group of media members was allowed to play the course. Berman's group was the first to tee off. About 40 people were around the tee when he hit shanked his drive. A friend yelled, "Back, back, back that's gone!" Everyone howled....except Berman.

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

hahahahahahahahaha (just don't actually, you know, follow through)

11. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Please don't do that but Berman is very annoying to say the least. Honestly, when I see him on anything I turn the sound off, he is that awful.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

His schtick was old in '95. That's why his respectful calls during 2,131 were so refreshing.

Ripken's home run: "Ripped to left... oh my goodness, he's done it again!"

Second baseman Manny Alexander catching the last out of the top of the fifth inning to make the game official: "And let it be said that number 8, Cal Ripken, Jr., has reached the unreachable star."

More important than the surprisingly subtle words was what he did after them. He let the pictures do the talking.

THAT in my opinion was when Chris Berman was at his best. Maybe he should go back back back to school.

Draft saved Draft deleted