1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great, great article

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, Oct 27, 2006.

1. spud

spud Member

Mr. Moneyball hit one out of the park with this one. If you've got the time for it, it's a pretty damn good one.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/29/sports/playmagazine/1029play_parcells.html?hp&ex=1162008000&en=00292a0d8a8a5745&ei=5094&partner=homepage

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I liked it a lot.

But you know what this board will do instead? Keep gnashing teeth over some nobody columnist going to some Web site.

3. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

thanks.

that was good. There have been several good articles in Play magazine recently.

4. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

What is Play Magazine?

5. Big_Space

Big_Space Member

6. Baba_Booey

Baba_Booey Member

Wow. That was great. I wonder how he convinced Parcells to grant him the access.

7. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Very well done piece. Really drives home how devoid of any meaning this guy's life is beyond football.

8. Jinga_Thomson

Jinga_Thomson Member

In an ideal world, this board would be good for writers such as Michael Lewis to come on and explain the inner workings of a story. I'm only on page 2, but I'm fascinated by how human Lewis has made Parcells appear. All I have seen from Parcells this year is his short, apparently angry relationship with the media. Then some stranger swoops in and gets all this. Magnificent piece, and I'm not even near done.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

fine piece on a really intriguing character.

i remember when parcells first took over the jets. i got him in a hallway at the jets' building and asked him: "why do you keep doing this?"

he looked at me, shook his head and said, "i dunno -- i guess i'm just a sick bastard."

that about sums it up.

he looks awfully detached lately, though. looks like the whole t.o.-jerry jones sideshow has robbed parcells of a lot of his passion.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Alma, baby ... we miss you.

I wouldn't come off as at all preachy if you were still around full-time.

11. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

What Lewis does is what too few sportswriters do: he trusts the material. No melodrama, no excess, no shtick, no flair for flair's sake. Solid reporting, good thinking, and clear, clean writing -- the time-honored formula for rendering complex subjects simply. It's journalism at its best (to be excessive myself; I mean, it's a profile, not low doings in high places, but you know what I mean).

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

That's a good way of putting it, Dave.

He trusts the material.

Interesting piece. Man, does Parcells sound like a miserable SOB.

Draft saved Draft deleted