1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great F'n story! The fall of Atlanta Falcons QB Randy Johnson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

not a bad read. few more ex-teammates might have been nice. maybe a little background on his first win, first td pass and to whom, things like that would've been cool.

sad story.

2. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Steve did a helluva job on this piece, as he usually does.

Great dude too.

3. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

What a sad story. Amazing how some athletes, after being surrounded by thousands upon thousands of people, just want to be left alone. I had no idea Johnson was in that rough of shape, and I read a ton on football players from that era.

Reminds me of that Boston Globe story last year on former Sox and O's pitcher Sammy Stewart, who has been in and out of prison - mostly in - for the last 20 years. Just a sad epilogue.

4. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Reminiscent of "The Wrestler" script.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Those stories are the most fun to write.
    When you aren't on a huge "deadline" and you can be enterprising.
    It's that sort of stuff that's always helped sell the concept of "newspapers."

6. Wow. That's a great story.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Great written story, sad story that one gets used to the adulation then cannot cope with the loss of that adulation.

(getting up on soapbox)

I truly believe that our society needs to send a better message as these "stars" are socialized as youngsters that the adulation is not the end all be all and that there is much more to life than just the adulation that comes from being a sports star. I point to that more than anything as to why the athletes feel enabled to do whatever they want. Look at Miguel Cabrera, if you can hit .330 with power, you get $20M per year and a free pass on violent crime.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I hated the story. It ended and I wanted to keep reading. So I hate it. I hate that it was so well-done that I wanted to keep reading. Kind of like a movie that you enjoy so much. But they always end. Dammit!

And damn you, Steve Hummer!

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't know if all of his troubles can be blamed on the fact he was a pro athlete. Chances are he had some personality or mental health issues all of his life and was bound to wind up like this whether he played pro ball or not.

10. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I often see the opaque reference such as "in an interview with a Florida newspaper" and wonder why you don't give the paper's name. What's the harm?

That said, a great story on a sad subject

Draft saved Draft deleted