1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great California blackout coming

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Spartan Squad, Oct 8, 2019.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Thanks, yeah its weird how my vision of "safe" changes when its completely dark in the neighborhood.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A tennis club I watched much of the 1990 World Series at (when the A's offense went on hiatus against the Reds) burned down over the weekend - the culprit (poetically enough) a downed power pole (that PGE didn't turn off).

maumann likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

4. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Instead of shutting them down; why wasn’t maintenance done the past what 30 yrs? to avoid any such problems?? Yeah I’m looking at you PGE!!

6. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

So if PG&E's power lines fail in Cat 1 hurricane force wind gusts, what the hell is going to happen when the Bay Area gets a 7.0 quake? Forget falling into the ocean. The infrastructure will collapse first.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Out for nearly 40 hours here and, as Spartan Squad noted, may only be fleeting. At least at the store, they installed a generator Friday night and we stayed open for business, plus I had a place to recharge my phone.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Homes burned in an overnight fire in north San Bernardino. My brother, who's about 10 miles away, says the winds are worse than usual -- and he's been there nearly 50 years.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yesterday was the first time I saw smoke east of me in Long Beach (must have been San Berdoo)
    Big winds last night

Draft saved Draft deleted