1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great Bettis admission -- faking injury to stay employed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 22, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So was Russ Grimm getting the head coaching job.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I was referring to the Chicago Tribune, oop.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The relentless underground rumor mill ran KS out of town . . .

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

It's in this one, though, on SI.com.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/specials/preview/2007/08/22/bc.fbn.steelers.bettisb.ap/index.html

Bettis' recollection may be more anecdotal than fact-based.

While Bettis was held out early in that 2000 camp because of a hip injury, his knee injury -- the one Bettis said he faked -- was not revealed until later in camp. Huntley had a hamstring injury at the time and played in only one preseason game, gaining 13 yards.

Bettis didn't disclose how a player who was so injured that he missed all but a few days of camp could beat Bettis out of a job and force the Steelers to release him.

An MRI test by the Steelers during that camp revealed Bettis, who had undergone knee surgery the year before, had blood swelling behind his kneecap as a result of a hit during practice.

Bettis did not write in the book, co-written with Gene Wojciechowski, how a fresh injury that supposedly didn't occur could cause such test results. He did write that he showed up to camp with a knee problem that had occurred the season before.

5. outofplace

Ah. Bad assumption on my part.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It happens all the time. Just not usually to a future Hall of Famer like Bettis, although there are plenty of guys who stay on IR for a year or two to collect their salaries rather than retire (Faulk, Alstott, Holmes). I don't blame any of them...

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I like Jerome's honesty.

I do disagree with him on Kordell. He had every chance to win that qb job. If the Steelers kept O'Donnell for another 4-5 years I think they would have made probably two more Super Bowls.

The Steelers never needed a qb who missed an open receiver 20 percent of the time.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Larry Brown was happy to have O'Donnell throwing to him!

9. outofplace

I took the comments on Stewart to mean he thought that Cowher never put enough faith into Stewart, which is ridiculous. For a guy that had maybe one good season and a habit of screwing up at the worst possible time, Stewart got far too many chances. Maybe I misread Bettis's comments.

Draft saved Draft deleted