1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great article in this month's Esquire

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by John, May 10, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm guessing you didn't read the whole thing.

2. Sly

Sly Active Member

That Katrina story was just awesome. I liked his Mailer article as well, especially the part where Mailer's playing Texas Hold'Em and Junod contemplates what that means for today's society ..

3. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

One of the things I liked best about the story was the way Junod took us on own personal journey of couriosity, skepticism, belief and disbelief -- all without making the story about himself. It's like he carried us along in his head and we saw the story through his eyes, heard it through his ears and attempted to discern the truth through his mind.

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

God bless minor league rain delays that allow reading that piece in one sitting.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hey Jonesy... was skimming the best bars... Now that you've been to Nye's, are you too good to go anywhere else? No wit and wisdom from anywhere else?

6. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

I would be curious to know the logistics of a story like this -- how much time he had to collect information (the story seemed to indicate it was several months), how long it took Junod to actually write it, how many other projects he's juggling at the same time, etc.

7. e4

e4 Member

I'm even more curious as to the fallout (pun unavoidable) of this story. How does this guy keep his job?

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

I believe he lost his job because of the story.

I'll email Tom and see if I can get his thoughts on the story or whether he might post here directly.

And slappy -- I missed the best bars train this time around. I was stuck in John McCain station.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I read through the entire thing and it's hard to understand the ending.
    That's sort of confusing prose he's finalizing with.
    The story was borderline too long. But his editors probably asked him for that much.
    The subject - Zeke - was a real "soldier of fortune" type guy.

10. Any response in your inbox, Mr. Jones?

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

Actually haven't gotten around to asking yet, Michael. Will do.

Sorry about that.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I heart Tom Junod.

He's no Chris Jones, but who is?

Draft saved Draft deleted