1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Great article in this month's Esquire

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by John, May 10, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm through three pages and am floored by this. Just an amazing story. I'm saving the rest of the article for when my magazine arrives in the mail.

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

The story behind this story is worth a few pages itself. There was a lot of debate about it within the magazine -- mostly whether Tom Junod wanted to put himself in harm's way by writing it. I'm glad he did.

He's a great writer and a great guy.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'm waiting to read the piece on more good bars....

5. Junod is to general-interest stories what Gary Smith is to sports. Interestingly, didn't Junod previously have a sports focus (at GQ, I believe) before he began at Esquire?

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

Michael -- I don't think he was a sports guy. He was at GQ. He came over when David Granger left to become Esquire's editor-in-chief, bringing with him guys like Junod, Scott Raab, Cal Fussman, and Charlie Pierce. It might be Charlie you're thinking of.

But you're right about his gifts. He's won a couple of National Magazine Awards and has been nominated several more times, including this year (for a story on those nursing home owners in the wake of Katrina).

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Hell of a story. In lesser hands ... well, you shudder to think.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I think the genius of it is that the reader takes the same ride Junod did, believing one thing then another, only to be left scratching his head. Then there's the final paragraph. Three sentences sum up the whole thing and put it in perspective.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Holy shit. Tonight's deadline is now in jeopardy.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

On another note, the shots of the lovely Vera Farmiga (she played the psychiatrist in The Departed) are very, very good.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Good story - surely some of it's false, or embellished.
    Mostly true, though, I'm sure. There's folks like this out there.
    I'm surprised he'll talk as much as he has.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Tom Junod has been one of my favorites since he was at GQ. 10 years or so ago he wrote a story about his dad that a friend and I still quote on occasion.

This story was fantastic - scary and well-written.

Draft saved Draft deleted