1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gratuitous I'm-gonna-be-in-NYC-and-want-good-pizza thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by zimbabwe, May 10, 2008.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

jg, What do you think of Arturo's on Houston?

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

BR -

Never been. Am trying to remember, though, if I've been served it by friends on a takeout basis.

From what I hear, though, it's a destination pie with a devoted following on the order of a Luzzo's or Famous Joe's.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

if you're doing manhattan, try "nick's" on upper east side. tremendous. a nice restaurant with good menu choices, too.

also a plug for my neighbor nick, owner of the three nick's in queens, manhattan and long island. our friendship aside, the pizza rocks.

second to di fara, though, but i understand the inconvenience factor of schlepping to midwood. odds are you'll have to wait for a pie to be made.

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

You should check it out, just make sure you don't confuse it with Arturo's on the Upper East Side -- a delivery/takeout place that's not at all the same.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Do listen to this. Unless of course, you want to cough up $40 for pizza. In 2000, my choice was $3.50 to $4.50 per huge slice. Of course, I'm not one to put a huge value on atmosphere and restaurant status.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

No, no, no. The rule is that around Times Square, you pay more for less of anything, pizza included. You're giving the absolute worst advice possible.

The places being recommended don't sell by the slice, anyway. Your pizza is made to order rather than festering for a few hours.

7. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Again, thanks to all for the input.

The board has once again given so much to a member who has given the board so little in return.

Sincerely,
    zimbabwe
    most banal 1200+ poster at SportsJournalists.com

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

aforementioned "nick's" in manhattan only does pies, no slices. "di fara's" in midwood part of brooklyn does it by the slice but they never sit around stale. whether regular or sicilian, they don't last long. ;D

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Three-fifty is expensive for pizza in NYC?

20 years ago, eggs and bacon were $4.50

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Get on the ferry, ride it to Staten Island, grab a cab to Denino's in Port Richmond. The cabbie will know where it is. Bring cash. They don't take credit cards. When you're done, walk across the street to Ralph's for an Italian ice.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Or you could take a short day trip to Chicago, the only place in America to get real pizza.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Don't make me come out there.

Draft saved Draft deleted