1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grants Pass sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Lance Ogden GP, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lance Ogden GP

Lance Ogden GP New Member

We're looking for a writer who can turn a column a week and produce copy that has a unique feel. You'll be given the freedom to make plenty of your own assignments as long as you show the ability to pull that trigger. We'll probably pay you more than you'd guess at an 18K, and we'll help with relocation. We cover seven high schools and provide a bit of coverage to the regional D-II. D-I football coverage also is a probability if you manage your 40-hour work week. We're a six-dayer, with no Sunday, and we're a three-person staff with a universal desk.

Google the Grants Pass Daily Courier, Southern Oregon and the Rogue River if you want a better feel for the area and the paper.

Feel free to ask any questions. I'll be checking back each day.

Send your resumes and clips to logden@thedailycourier.com.

2. Lance Ogden GP

Sorry, I forgot: Medical is paid by the family that owns the paper.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Cool name: Grants Pass.

Never worn a skirt, and I'd dominate your dojo.

4. i know a little about this lance ogden dude, and everything i've heard is good stuff.

5. spud

spud Member

...as long as you're good with southern Oregon, which isn't for everybody. It apparently wasn't for this dude who left.

6. RangerBear

RangerBear New Member

Over 5 hours to Sacramento and more than two hours to Eugene? What exactly do you do from killing yourself in Grants Pass?

7. since sacramento is such a booming metropolis?

when i did a google once upon a time, i saw that grants pass is about four hours to portland and six hours to seattle and sacramento. (lance can correct my math if i am wrong.) there are towns far more remote than this -- hello, kalispell, bozeman and billings, for starters.

8. Lance Ogden GP

I don't know, chief. Why don't you tell us what you're doing night-to-night at the major metro you work at and help us make it through another day here in GP?

Really, honest to God, if you're going to stop by and be a wise guy, don't waste your time or mine. If you have a question, please feel free to ask.

And, BTW, it's MORE than FIVE hours to Sac., not OVER 5 hours. If you're going to attempt to mock somebody, at least get your lines right.

9. did some google maps work ...

grants pass to:
    -- medford, 29 miles
    -- eugene, 138 miles
    -- corvallis, 182 miles
    -- portland, 244 miles
    -- sacramento, 336 miles
    -- san francisco, 392 miles
    -- seattle, 417 miles

i know someone who has spent some time in the area. (my experience is pretty much passing through.) the cost of living ain't all that expensive...no oregon sales tax...no need to pump your gas, of course...beautiful outdoors scenery (lakes, mountains). and everyone always seems happy in the northwest, for some reason. maybe it's the high-quality tree.

i've talked to lance in passing. he's not a bullshit artist, like many people in the field, nor is he overly optimistic. he'll feed you the real deal, no crap tossed in. at least that's my experience.

no, i'm in all likelihood not applying, but i wouldn't feel uncomfortable pointing a buddy in this direction -- and there aren't many places i'd say that about nowadays.

10. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Is that the same Lance Ogden of Joplin fame?

11. Lance Ogden GP

We liked to think of it as Webb City fame, but yes.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I can't understand why you'd rather claim Webb City.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.