1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grantland so far

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Grantland's 100-mph fastball?

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6754551/part-1

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't wait for Boom to add up the "I"s in that article.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hah- I viewed it first thing this morning but I did not have my coffee yet. I need my caffeine for my counting skills to kick in. So far I have counted 13 "I's in first 2 paragraphs. He is on a torrid pace. I promise I will have full accounting by lunchtime.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is a first-person perspective of playing in a poker tournament, right?

5. Illino

Illino Member

That's what I assume, but I wasn't able to finish the thing because of all the flowery, non-poker description that was going on at the beginning.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There probably aren't any good stories at the WSOP.

The only option must be to write about your own experience.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Or they have been beaten to death.

This is a different persective.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wow, that's seven I's in one graf. Very impressive.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I actually thought that piece was really good, one of Grantland's best so far. I suppose some you guys would be cynical of Hunter S. Thompson's "The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved" or George Plimpton's "Medora Goes To The Game" if they were written for Grantland, on the basis of it being first-person. Well, sometimes, first person just works.

There are a good many articles on Grantland that rely too heavily on first person. There are a good many articles that stick it in for one fleeting moment where it seems out of place.

This was neither. This was a very talented, well-regarded author doing what was explicitly a first-person narrative. What's wrong with that? I like that they're thinking outside the box.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I have not been an active poker player in money games for some years, but am quite familiar with the culture, and I liked this piece a good deal.

Interested in seeing more.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I need to see the rest of the installments certainly, but my first thought was that it compares very favorably to DFW's 'Big Red Son.'

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

SF, You are not alone. I read a lot on the web. I buzz around and pick up things from a lot of different sites. I sort of have my daily checklist. I have no patience for most of what I have seen on Grantland. I want to like it. I respect most of the writers I've seen on there. I just haven't felt compelled to go over there very much, and when I have, I gave up on reading pretty quickly. Very little has absolutely gripped me and felt like "must read" material. The best I came up with is that it probably isn't aimed at me. It's why I haven't commented much on the other thread. I haven't been to the site enough to really comment.

Alma, great job. I always appreciate well-reasoned analysis. I half want to go over there and pay more attention to decide whether I agree with your analysis.

Draft saved Draft deleted