1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grantland so far

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 14, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I know I'm having a brain fart here, but I didn't. Is he saying four graphs in, he was hooked, or four graphs in, he was ready to move on to the next shiny object?

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

The second one. He could already tell the story was going to be a long, overblown monument to the writer's ego, so he took his ball and went home.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

"Gone" as in, he closed the browser window and moved on to something else.

4. jr/shotglass

Thanks. I have been there too. A lot with Molly Lambert stuff, for some reason.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I don't think she's one of their better writers, but the stuff Bryan Curtis is doing over there is really excellent. He was one of the few to get a shout-out from the ombuds.

6. jr/shotglass

I enjoy Titus, read his book and it wasn't bad.

Greenwald's TV pieces are first-rate. I like Katie Baker, either on hockey or the occasional pop-culture work.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I agree about Lambert. Her Mad Men reviews read like a 200-level English comp essay.

I love Greenwald, Jonah Keri & Rany Jazayerli. Wesley Morris, too.

But there are clearly a ton of Grantland writers that Simmons sees as younger versions of himself, and he's giving them an outlet to jerk off 4,000 words at a time. They totally over-rate the NBA's impact and popularity, and view everything through the prism of the movies, TV shows and music they loved when they were in high school and college. The trouble is, in most cases, that was only 5 or 10 years ago.

I honestly think Simmons hired Bill Barnwell because he is young, single and obsessed with gambling. What he writes about the NFL is what Simmons would want to if he was 15 years younger, didn't have kids and didn't have 10 other irons in the fire.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Should the Dr. V story remain up on the site:

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

In the sports realm, their basketball and baseball stuff is mostly good - Lowe, Keri, and Jazayerli in particular. Lowe and Keri are my favorite basketball and baseball writers on any site. Other than that, their articles are very hit-or-miss. On football, the only guy I like reading is Chris Brown, who breaks down Xs and Os well.

10. jr/shotglass

I look at it more for the Hollywood Prospectus than any sports stuff anymore. There's almost always a good pop-culture read.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I like some articles in that section. I can't stand Greenwald, though. He and Barnwell are my least favorite writers on that site. Greenwald badly needs a good editor to keep him from rambling on without a point for paragraphs at a time.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted