1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grantland article on LSU's Mo Isom

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportbook, Aug 20, 2012.

1. sportbook

sportbook Member

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8278704/former-lsu-goalie-mo-isom-try-kicker-tigers-football-team-no-matter-happens-knows-not-end

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This is an beautiful story. Deserves a read.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

My entire body aches from reading that.

Very well done.

4. Double Down

Sometimes we're observers, and sometimes we simply collaborate with someone when they demonstrate an acts of courage by sharing their life.

I really liked the ending, and that Conn wasn't afraid of the religious angle, because that part was obviously important to Isom.

I also think its a good example of why it's silly to say "I don't read Grantland." You don't have to like everything there, but there is likely something for you there of exceptional quality.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't read Grantland. ... Then I saw DD's comment. Hit the link. ... started to read. ... and kept reading. It's the first thing I have read there in months. That was very well done.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Discovering Conn's work has been one of my favorite things about Grantland. Have really liked several of his pieces.

7. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

A really gripping read. But didn't think it was spectacularly well-written as much as it was clear and descriptive of a really interesting story and set of facts and events. Maybe a case where the writer got out of the way.

I wonder how much she told on her blog prior to Grantland's writer putting his work together. She seems pretty open about a lot of things:

http://moisom.com/my-story/

8. sportbook

sportbook Member

She's a pretty good writer herself.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

My entire body aches from working out two days in a row, but I agree that was a great story.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Tell Grantland, DD. It's disappeared from the front page. SummerSlam and Part 3 (!) of an Olympics diary that's boring and dated are up there, though. Mo Isom has been lost to the ether, while Grantland apparently shells out big bucks for a novelist to talk to a long dead German writer no one's heard of.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

That was a great read.

12. Double Down

Well, for starters, the story is at least three days old. I saw it when it was published (Monday?) and I had to put it aside. I know you have beef with almost all things Grantland, and your criticisms of it are always well written and respectful, but I don't think that one is particularly fair. It was the "Big Article" on Monday, and had the top spot there the entire day. It's a blog. I'm not sure what else they're supposed to do with it.

Personally, as one of the board's more outspoken Christians, I thought you would appreciate the fact that Conn didn't shy away from the religion angle, and that he wasn't afraid to make Isom's Christianity the engine of the narrative.

Did you read the piece?

Draft saved Draft deleted