1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grant Hill: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, Thompson was a no-brainer.

I remember when Hill got injured in Orlando someone referred to him as basketball's Terrell Davis. It was a good comparison at the time... The difference was, Hill came back from it and had 4-5 pretty respectable seasons with Phoenix.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Perhaps one of the top 5 citizens to ever play in the NBA. Got that from his parents. Born in Dallas because his dad played for the Cowboys.

But a HOFer? Flip a coin. He lasted 19 years in the Association, which is amazeballs considering all the injuries that consumed several years of his prime. Was outstanding in college of course, which skews the equation.

I hate to say Jack Morris, but ....

3. Mizzougrad96

Based solely on what he did on the floor during NBA career, Hill would be a borderline HOF pick.

Add in his college career and that changes pretty dramatically.

Add in that everybody just loves the guy (and justifiably so) and he's pretty close to a lock to get in.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I think he gets in and should.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

yes.

He's famous and its a Hall of Fame. Besides its basketball's HOF, its not important.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Tough hall to get into? Compared to hockey, yes. Compared to baseball and football, no.

Hill gets in, but waits a few years.

7. Mizzougrad96

Agree on all counts.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He rarely was the type of player who had moments of brilliance. He was consistently excelent in all aspects of the game, but he wasn't really that type of a player who just dominated. Maybe he would have during that stretch from 28-33 when he wasn't ever healthy except for one year, but it just never happened for him. After the Magic, he was basically a complimentary player.

He's an HOF based on the college and pro career combined, but not just based on his NBA output.

9. Webster

I think that his signature NBA moment was playing "Tender Love" on the Letterman show.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He belongs on the all-time What Might Have Been team. All-NBA first team by his third year -- second-best player in the league at that time IMO -- and looked for all the world like he'd take the baton from Jordan. The jersey sales were starting to show it too. Then the feet did him in.

11. Mizzougrad96

Yeah, I remember when he and McGrady both signed in Orlando and people thought they'd win multiple titles... Never really worked out too well...

12. Webster

I just looked at his stats from Detroit -- I forgot how good they were.

Draft saved Draft deleted