1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grand Rapids, Mich.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Jul 23, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A pox on you.

My grandmother lived in Troy, across John R from Oakland Mall. Whenever we'd visit, she'd take us to the Olga's at the mall because it was my mom's favorite in that area.

I was young, but I hated it. I think I was anti-openface sandwiches back then (WHY WOULD YOU USE A KNIFE TO EAT A GYRO?) but I just remember disliking it intensely.

She also took us to Friendly's, because that was the kids' favorite. :)

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Only thing I can add is I'm originally from Big Rapids, Mich. Big Rapids is small compared to Grand Rapids. We moved when I was five, though we did visit once in 1993 when my brother was considering U of Michigan for grad school.
    Not that any of the info. helps at all, of course. ;)

3. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

What's openface about it? It's basically a normal gyro except Olga's uses a sweet bread. And FTR I have NEVER used a knife to eat an Olga.

Also they have good fries and an orange cream cooler which is fantastic

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't know. I just remember it came laid flat and my mom used silverware. Also that sweet bread was gross. As was their sauce.

5. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

... is a good town in which to get your ass kicked?

It's been a while since I've been there but that was one of my favorite Midwest League stops. The Ford Museum is pretty good, but it pales a little to the Lincoln one if you've been there.

6. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

No need to travel 45 minutes to Bell's. Founders is right downtown, and it's arguably more highly regarded than Bell's.

More beer nerdery: Hopcat is a couple blocks away also in downtown Grand Rapids. Fantastic beer bar.

Also, eat a hot dog at Yesterdog.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Founders is the best Eastern Time Zone brewery.

8. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I suppose this is a good time to mention I'm traveling with a couple vegans.

Thank you. I'll keep this in mind next week. :)

I've not visited Lincoln either, so maybe the Ford Museum is the better first visit. btw, I can't stop thinking about the

Yesterdog sounds like a winner.

9. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

"There is nothing grand in Grand Rapids, not even the rapids," . . . a wise journalist I have worked with.

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Founders and Hopcat are musts- great beers and both have decent food as well (Founders is sandwiches only). Brewery Vivant has solid Belgian-styled beers and good food.

Right across from Vivant is a great place the vegans will love, as will everyone else.

www.mariecatribs.com

The black forest ham and swiss cheese stuffed french toast....:homersimpsondrool:

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Seconded on getting out of town and heading lakeside. I lived in the Muskegon area for a time (my first journalism job: paperboy for the Muskegon Chronicle), and it was a rare time when my parents would tell us to get in the car so we could go see all the excitement in Grand Rapids, full of the non-pot smoking/whorebanging Dutch and Amway salespeople.

Draft saved Draft deleted