1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grand Rapids, Mich.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'm going to Grand Rapids, Mich. later this week for five days on a work assignment.
    What restaurants do I need to visit? Not sure I'll have time for anything beyond a few dinners, but if you have suggestions for things to see, I'll take those too.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

They've got three Applebee's there.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

This will not end well.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I haven't lived in western Michigan for 10-plus years, but I do remember stopping at a steakhouse just outside Grand Rapids in the early 2000s and not being able to order a beer with dinner because it was Sunday.

Whole lotta' Dutch Reformed folks in that region.

Also, if you can get over to Lake Michigan, about an hour or so drive, I highly recommend it. Holland and Saugatuck are cool towns near the lake.

The Midwest League (Class A) affiliate, the Whitecaps, had a pretty nice ball park, too. It's a few miles north of downtown GR on Highway 131.

5. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Drive the 45 minutes down to Kalamazoo and check out the Bells Brewery/store/restaurant.

Also if there's an Olga's Kitchen in the neighborhood, check it out.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Agree on Holland. Nice working windmill there, among other stuff.

Love the Whitecaps ballpark. Unfortunately, they aren't in town this weekend.

If you're into classic cars, the Gilmore Car Museum isn't far. It's in Hickory Corners, which isn't far from Kalamazoo.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Seconded.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

PM me if you want, Buck... I can pass along some stuff for ya. :)

9. David Panian

David Panian New Member

I feel like I should plug a brewpub started by one of my elementary school friends. I haven't been there, but I've heard good things about from people who don't know me or my friend well (or at all).

http://www.breweryvivant.com/

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are great local places there. I'm just joshing.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Stay in Lansing or Kalamazoo and commute.

12. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Fuck Bland Rapids.

Back in 99, I was living in L.A. I was interviewing for jobs in SF and NYC. My wife said she didn't want to live in either place; she wanted to move back home to Grand Rapids.

We were divorced six weeks later, just three years after the worst bachelor party of all time at the strip club that was housed in an old octagonal Denny's.

Draft saved Draft deleted