1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gran Torino

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Eastwood's Gran Torino comes out today.

Man has always had a sense of timing.

New York Times said the film is strong.

Love this passage:

Mr. Eastwood’s loose, at times very funny performance in the early part of the film is one of its great pleasures. While some of this enjoyment can be likened to spending time with an old friend, Mr. Eastwood is also an adept director of his own performances and, perhaps more important, a canny manipulator of his own iconographic presence. He knows that when we’re looking at him, we’re also seeing Dirty Harry and the Man With No Name and all his other outlaws and avenging angels who have roamed across the screen for the last half-century. All these are embedded in his every furrow and gesture.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/12/12/movies/12tori.html?8mu&emc=mua1

Weird, almost 17 years ago, I thought I was watching Clint Eastwood in his grand finale in Unforgiven.

What a legend.

Has he, with the incredible storm-surge of a past 20 years put himself as the No. 1 Hollywood star of all time?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Clint rocks.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You know what I want to read about Eastwood? I want to know more about Eastwood the composer. How'd he get started? What's the process?

We've got enough profiles and studies of Eastwood the actor and Eastwood the director to last us. Eastwood the composer intrigues me more at this point.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He's certainly in the conversation with the likes of Paul Newman, Humphrey Bogart and Jimmy Stewart.

Other than Robert Redford, I can't think of an A-list star who's nearly as accomplished as a director (though George Clooney might get there one day).

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

No shit, Colombo.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/64338/

6. Simon_Cowbell

HEY, CUT BACK ON THE FUCKING CAFFEINE!!!

EDIT: Hmmm, silence.

Not enough exclamation points?

7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Went to a movie with friends one night when I was in college, don't even remember what movie it was. What I do remember was the movie trailers starting up and the first one had a bunch of cutaway scenes. It was obviously a western but I didn't recognize any actors the first minute or so. Then came a scene where the person had his back to the camera in a dimly lit setting, and the person slowly turned around, and when the light hit his face, the crowd in the three-quarters full theater started cheering like crazy.

It was Clint. The trailer was the first I saw of "Unforgiven."

That still stays with me. How Eastwood could get a theaterful of people going nuts by appearing in a movie trailer.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I need to see Unforgiven.

9. Simon_Cowbell

To quote my daughter: OMG!

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Dark as hell. But a great movie.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm downloading the DVD Screener of this right now.

12. Simon_Cowbell

DVD Screener?

Draft saved Draft deleted