1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grammys Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I enjoyed Kanye's performance last night simply because he brought back Daft Punk and his "Hey Mama" song was very moving.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Hair metal killed hair metal.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I thought the warnings about aerosol hairspray destroying the ozone killed hair metal.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If people said the same thing about the country singer (Brad Paisley) who sang a song about wanting to inspect a woman for clinging insects, would you object?

Kanye's act did nothing for me. He dresses like a space alien, he's obnoxious and his lyrics reminded me of Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble reading "There's Loot In Lyrics" and deciding they had to get "mother" in the song they were going to write.

I think it's perfectly OK to think some of the Grammy performers are minimally talented people who are overtly commercial and who don't have anything especially original to say.

I thought the whole show pretty much sucked. I thought it was truly bizarre to have Tina Turner and Beyonce performing Tina's hit cover of a John Fogerty song, with John Fogerty in the building to perform later, and no mention of Fogerty as the author, even thought CCR's version went to No. 2 on the charts and Ike and Tina's went to No. 4.

Yeah, I'll agree the Fogerty performance with Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis was tired. I thought the entire show was a waste of my time. I thought the ballet with "Day in the Life" was stupid. I almost got into it when I thought the hick was singing about checking her tits, but when I realized it was about ticks, I just thought it was the dumbest fucking song in Grammys history.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You aren't Frank_Ridgeway. You've stolen Frank_Ridgeway's PC. ;)

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Speaking of Andy Williams, I'm catching up on my podcasts and was listening to Mr. Tony's radio show from Monday. Tony did a hilarious rip job on damn near everyone except Alicia Keys and the Foo Fighters. He didn't get to see his girl Winehouse because he went to bed early, but this is the gist of what he had to say:

-said Andy Williams looked like he was wearing diapers
    -didn't understand all of the chest glitter on women
    -like Beyonce, though she was thick in the thighs
    -Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood: "get out, you stink"
    -Fergie is terrible and he felt embarrassed for John Legend for doing the duet with her
    -The Beatles tribute was an insult to the Beatles
    -liked the Keely Smith/Kid Rock duet
    -Aretha Franklin is on the Ralph Fridgen diet. She looked like the QE2, must weigh about 4 bills. She's enormous
    -(sorry sportschick, but the Kayne haters are still piling on) called Kayne a egomaniac. Compared him to Errol Smith when he won an Oscar for the McNamara movie and start.
    -Tina Turner, stick with the dress.
    -Rhianna was wearing what looked like an onion skin

The Peanut Gallery, including David Aldridge were rolling in the studio listening to him rant.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I noticed her thighs but did not see the thickness as a bad thing.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Not at all.

I remember the great line by Jamie Foxx about Beyonce, from when they were on the movie Dreamgirls.

"I kissed Beyonce and had to ask her... have you been making out with Jay-Z recently? Because you taste like Rhianna."

Draft saved Draft deleted