1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gramm: Recession good for newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chigurdaddy, Jul 11, 2008.

1. chigurdaddy

chigurdaddy Guest

Chief Bush McCain econ advisor and former senator Phil Gramm pissed off just about the whole country (including McCain) when he said Americans are "a nation of whiners" suffering from a "mental recession."
    His take on the impact of the economic downturn on newspapers is even more delusional. If his statements are any indication, Gramm believes we're all getting raises - not pink slips.

"Misery sells newspapers," Mr. Gramm said. "Thank God the economy is not as bad as you read in the newspaper every day."
    http://www.time-blog.com/swampland/2008/07/gramm_and_the_mental_recession.html

2. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

There have actually been two threads on this bozo on the Sports and News board.

That said, he doesn't actually believe we're in a recession; thus, the non-existent recession can't be good/bad for anyone. Mostly he was just being flip in regard to newspapers.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My favorite economic bit of wit: A recession is when your neighbor loses his job, a depression is when you lose yours.

Realizing this guy is a mucky muck with UBS makes me think this entire economy is held together with pipe cleaners, paper clips and silly string and dependent on the rest of us suckers continuing to go along with the program to keep making guys like Gramm rich.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This old whore can choke on his own vomit.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Along those lines, aren't we foolish for expecting anything other than condescension from anyone Up There (no, not God)? Our fears and worries aren't even a blip on the radar. We can all spiral into the shitter and they'll still be fine. Probably even better off than they are now.

I'm going to take up drinking, I swear.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I don't know what's more shocking. Gramm thinking that there is no recession or that people still read newspapers [borrowed from Moddy].

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The only thing worse than Gramm is Rudman.

(Old stupid 80s playground joke ... sorry.)

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jessica DaSilva wanted to stand up and say, "You Go, Grumpy Old Rich Man!!!"

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

God, where's Fenian when you need him?

Can we get some sort of night-time sky signal? Like a silhouette of a donkey that we can put up in times like these?

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Fenian to the rescue!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

McCain was pissed about Gramm's comments. Made some "joke" about Gramm becoming ambassador to Belarus but that the people of Minsk probably wouldn't like it.
    I wish fucks like Gramm would spend a day or two out among the "real" people. I'd love to get in his face and "whine" about the "mental recession."

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Even as a republican, I fucking hate Gramm...

Draft saved Draft deleted