1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GR Press/Kalamazoo Gazette to cut 233

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hank_Scorpio, Nov 18, 2011.

1. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

MDead.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

In a quick search, I couldn't find recent/believable circulation numbers for the Kalamazoo Gazette. The most recent number I found was from 2008, and it was about 45,000 daily. No way it's that now.

But, even cutting that number in half, eight newsroom staffers is shockingly low -- even given the fact page layout and copy editing is done elsewhere.

My off-the-cuff guess on future staffing: three news reporters, one ME, one photog, one news clerk, two in sports. If that's the case, they probably have one sports staffer on Western Michigan beats and another full-time on preps. Everything else? Stringers or press releases.

And yeah, Lancey, I fear this is the direction many chains could go.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Didn't waste any time in the end of that lifetime job pledge, did they?

4. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

GAZETTE, KALAMAZOO (KALAMAZOO CO.) AVG E (M-F) DLY 39,325
    GAZETTE, KALAMAZOO (KALAMAZOO CO.) SAT M DLY 45,786
    GAZETTE, KALAMAZOO (KALAMAZOO CO.) SUN DLY 55,571

From the most recent ABC numbers.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Nope.

Outsourcing customer service help to out-of-state contractors, too.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Down 20K almost across the board in the last five years...

7. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

Last I heard, they kept on two sports guys -- preps dude and WMU beat writer -- and are taking applications to hire back just one of the people they laid off.

8. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I understand the online model supports far fewer employees, but if you can't cover your community well, you're not going to get the requisite Web hits necessary to carry your product.

A newsroom of eight just isn't enough, even if seven of those folks are actually content providers.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

As a frame of reference the population of Kalamazoo County is 238K. The City of Kalamazoo has a population of 75K and the City of Portage, which is adjacent to Kalamazoo has a population of 46K. Western Michigan University has an enrollment of 25K. And I know that the paper circulates into Van Buren County to the west with a population of 68K. And to cover this with a staff of eight. I know times are tough but reporters are not that expensive.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You have problems seeing the bigger picture again, don't you?

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

And the suits will get raises. Of course.

Draft saved Draft deleted