1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Government Motors" returns to top of world's auto sales

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jan 20, 2012.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This makes a lot of sense. I guess the design for the Tundra was from an ancient Japanese cave drawing?

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

and the Aztek was designed by a Kettering freshman after a night of binge drinking and enough acid to kill a rhino

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Not that we should ever get homework assignments from this site, but if you ever think to watch and take note (something I've been doing for about three years now), I've noticed that a great majority of cars on the shoulder of the freeways (as in, "broke down") are GM or Chrysler cars. You almost never see a Toyota or Honda on the side of the freeway.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Hondas never run out of gas? Wow. Who knew?

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I've found the majority of cars on the side of the road are old beaters that appear to be pooly maintained.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think a lot depends on region. In my area I rarely see Toyota's or Honda's at all. Off the top of my head the top brands / vehicles I see are Mercedes, BMW's, Chevy Suburban/ Tahoe, Jeep- Grand Cherokee/ Wrangler in most parking lots.

GM must finally be realizing that Volt was overpriced to the market. When you can drive off in a car like the BMW 328 X drive that will get you 35 - 40 MPG on highway for the same of less, it would be hard to justify a Volt other than for the novelty.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

http://in.reuters.com/article/2013/07/25/autos-consumerreports-impala-idINL1N0FU1F320130725

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Something overlooked in the Impala hoopla is that despite the car's high marks by CR . . . it's still not a recommended vehicle by CR.

Reliability. Reliability. Reliability.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't CR always give new vehicles three or five years before they'll recommend it because of just that - they can't judge its reliability until it's been on the market for a long enough period of time?

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Not sure if the time frame is quite that long. Good question, though.

The 2013 Buyer's Guide lists reliability for 2011 models. So perhaps 2 years.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's correct. It's like the NFL draft. Can't judge reliability for a few years. Looks good on paper but.....

Problem with the Impala is that the dealers were not prepared. I was actually considering
    one. Great looking car but dealer I went to only had one base model and was not sure when they were getting some with bigger engine, ect . I did not want to wait and went
    another direction.

Also not bringing out all wheel drive version yet.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Whatever happened to Tim?

Draft saved Draft deleted