1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Got my money's worth from SI the last couple weeks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Dec 29, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed Tim Layden's story on Kevin Everett's recovery last week. Then Alexander Wolff had a great one this week on the Chaminade upset of Virginia from 25 years ago. My subscription's been paid for with those two articles.

2. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I don't even think the Chaminade-Virginia story was the best one in this issue (the story on Jim Jones' son and grandson was the best in my opinion), but it was still great.
    What got me the most about Wolff's story is how much sports journalism has changed since then. I mean, a game in Hawaii that's the upset of the year if not the decade, and it didn't find its way into East Coast papers for two days? That just boggles my mind.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

I am seriously thinking about restarting SI, but need a good deal for incentive.

4. TheSportsPredictor

Didn't even read the Jim Jones' grandson story yet. Have heard it enough that I didn't want to read it again, but will eventually. Then I'll REALLY have my $$ worth.

Loved the stuff about Va-Chaminade not being reported til about two days later, and by then it was kinda out of the consciousness. With all the coverage of App St over Michigan, can you imagine what would happen if a Chaminade beat a team like that today? Are there even college teams like that today? I loved the part where the AP guy was fielding calls asking him, "you mean they beat Virginia Union? VCU, right? Virginia Tech?"

5. TheSportsPredictor

I reupped when I got a card in the mail that promised me $20 subscription for a year AND a cheapo polyester NFL pullover of the team of my choice. Mailed that bad boy in the next day.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

$20 for a year? woah...how do I do that?

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I think I got my dad's for $39.

8. TheSportsPredictor

My offer just came in the mail. Some dude I work with got it, too; maybe they were blanketing the Cleveland area!

9. Sly

Sly Active Member

Believe it or not, I got a year of SI for $2. I had just purchased a few DVDs on Bestbuy.com when the offer popped up at the end of the sale. It'll go to regular price at the start of the second year, but I'm not locked in. Can cancel anytime.

Didn't get the football phone, though.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I let my subscription lapse, and just read it online for $0.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Cute. SI still has eye-popping photos regularly, and viewing them online just isn't the same to me.

12. TheSportsPredictor

But you don't have the cheap polyester pullover!!

Draft saved Draft deleted