1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Got a job, but I need your help

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by the_rookie, Dec 13, 2006.

1. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

I was offered a job today as reporter for a weekly paper and I took it.
    I currently live in the big city and the town I'm moving to has a population of 5,000, and is a long drive (1,500km) away. The pay is $25,000 a year. Will this suffice?
    I'm only 18 and everyone in my family is telling me it's a bad idea, that I should go to school. Why should I go to school to get the same job?
    Am I way over my head here? If I've learned anything from this site: get a job, no matter how small the paper.

Help please. ;D

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Is that $25,000 Canadian? And provided you have no bills and no family to support and are content to live in crappy studio or rent a room, you should be fine monetarily.

As someone with two degrees, I think you oughta go to school.

3. Holy living fuck! GO TO COLLEGE.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

If you can go to school, go to school. Try to do part-time work or freelance while you're there, but go to college. Unless you're incredibly lucky, you'll be stuck at Country-Time Weekly for a long time if you take this job.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I managed to live an okay life on 25k a few years ago in a mid-atlantic state. It's possible, and I did it with car payments, insurance, and higher rent than I was paying when I was making more money in the job I had previously. In your case, your decision should depend on how much you can learn and what kind of contacts you can make. If you're in an outpost that offers little guidance and no one that gives a damn, skip it. But if past employees moved on to better jobs and the paper nurtures you, there's probably nothing wrong with taking it. You just need to elaborate on your situation more.

6. audreyld

audreyld Guest

If that's US$, then it's more than I made at either of my first two jobs out of college.

Not trying to sway you one way or another. Just making an observation.

7. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

School. It's not a bad salary, but put it this way: If you're good enough to get something like that now, seems like there's a decent chance you'd be even more valuable to someone with a degree in your back pocket.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

I say take the job and see what happens in a year or two. Sounds like you've got an opportunity few 18-year-olds get. If you feel like the lack of education is holding you back, then go to college. You'll still be young enough. I didn't go to college until I was 22, but those four years after high school (living mostly on my own and working) were invaluable.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Go to college, FFS. Unless, of course, you're saying you'll be the same writer in four years that you are now.

Go to school, develop your chops and take electives to see if anything else interests you. If your current city is "big," you should have ample opportunities between any local or school papers to write without having to schlep across the continent. Are you willing to take a pass on all those opportunities, plus the added social environment of a college and its benefits, just to jump straight into the work force?

Don't waste your youth in a rush to grow up. You have all your life to be a working stiff.

10. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I know how you feel...18, it's what you've wanted to do since you were a kid and here it is! What can they teach you in school, right?
    Go to school. Don't take a job that seems like a lot of money now, get into bills and commitments that make it impossible to go back to school later.
    Enjoy your youth. Go to school, take a bunch of courses that seem meaningless now but teach you to think and grow in ways you don't realize yet. The same qualities that got you hired at 18 in the first place will be that much more developed in four or five years time and you won't be trapped in a job halfway across the country, missing your family and driving a five-year-old car with a shitty camera rattling around in the back seat taking pictures of the district Little League champions

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Veritas ... especially that last sentence.

12. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I don't think others are putting it strong enough, so allow me. . .

You are an idiot if you don't go to college, and it could wind up haunting you for the rest of your life.

I understand if you there are extenuating circumstances -- you're supporting a family, you can't afford, college, you have a terminal disease -- but otherwise go to college, go to college, go to college.

The things you learn/do/experience at college can not be replicated anywhere else in life.

Draft saved Draft deleted