1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gore endorses Obama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I've never understood that either. It would have been news if Gore had supported McCain. I'm guessing he didn't endorse anyone during the primaries because of his relationship with the Clintons.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I don't understand why Gore gets so much criticism for losing the 2000 election, as if his own shortcomings doomed us to eight years of Bush. Making a bad decision by voting for Bush and then whining about how you weren't impressed with the alternative does not remove the responsibility from your shoulders.

3. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

How did he shit the bed?

Because the news media made his sighing the biggest story of the debate?

Because the news media was complicit in promoting the inaccurate story that he once said he invented the Internet?

Because he won the popular vote by 500,000?

Because some older folks in Palm Beach County got confused by a terribly-produced ballot?

Because Fixed News called the election for Bush when Florida was still in doubt, thus establishing Bush as the "winner" in the public consciousness by the first ballot count?

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Gore made some tactical mistakes.
    He kept Clinton on a leash, trying to distance himself from a popular but scandal stained president.
    if Gore had cut Clinton loose, he probably gets Arkansas to stay Democratic and with the Memphis ad buys, he might have been able to take Tennessee as well.
    That's the ball game.
    Bush needed 270, he got 271. Arkansas stays blue and Gore wins. Nobody gives a flying fig what happens in Florida and with the pressure off, Florida ends up as a Gore win as well.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

To cure the dreaded "OhIdidn'tknow-itis", Kitty Kelley's The Family remains a must read.

If you don't have that many hours to spare, a cogent digest can be found HERE:

http://www.slate.com/id/2106773

Is Kelley an august historian? No. Does she know where the dirt can be found? Yes.

Have fun.

6. Mizzougrad96

If you're the VP for eight years under a tremendously popular president, the presidency should be yours to take.

Look what Bush did after Reagan.

All Gore had to do to win in 2000 was not royally fuck up.

We all know what happened. He even lost his home state. Who loses their home state? Even Mondale and Dukakis won their home states.

In hindsight, I wish he had won, because McCain would have stomped him in 2004 and would be running for re-election right now.

7. Mizzougrad96

100 percent right.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Conservatives before 8 years of Bush/Cheney/Rove: We voted for the right guy.

Conservatives after 8 years of Bush/Cheney/Rove: Gore had no business losing that election.

9. Mizzougrad96

Liberals: Bitter in 2000. Bitter in 2004. Still bitter in 2008.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Repped for real talk.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I don't deny that. I have a lot of reasons to be bitter.

Draft saved Draft deleted