1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GOP Response - Facts Lacking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Jan 24, 2012.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

According to the Huffington Post, Mitch Daniels said:

Daniels also defended the enterprise of business, calling it "one of the noblest of human pursuits" -- a line that wouldn't be out of place at a presidential rally for Mitt Romney.

"The late Steve Jobs -- what a fitting name he had -- created more of them than all those stimulus dollars the president borrowed and blew," he said.

I guess he and his speechwriters do not read the NYT and figure they can get one past the electorate. Apple subcontracts almost all manufacturing to Asia. Yes Apple has 43,000 employees (20,000 overseas), but that's overall and not created. I guarantee you the stimulus dollars created more than Apple did. Apple requires 700,000 workers overseas for manufacturing, all subcontracted out.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Yeah, maybe, but Apple didn't use my fucking money to do it.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Fixed

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This.

5. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

But that's not what the guy said in the speech. He was wrong and probably knew it.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

So you don't think Apple ever used any tax incentives? Never benefited from any government programs?

7. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The GOP are the 1-percenters. All hail to them!

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Which continues to befuddle me as the 99ers buy their social dogma and let the GOPers keep lowering taxes and loosening regulations all to detriment if the 99ers.

9. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Read "What's the Matter with Kansas." It will shed some light on this.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That's pretty shallow thinking.

Apple's subcontracts not only remove jobs - and thus taxes, corporate and income - from the U.S. rolls, they help necessitate the kind of diplomatic relations and military presence that sucks millionsbillions from US coffers. We run a gigantic debt with China in part because certain political leaders are too deferential to companies like Apple that want exploit Communist wages and educational systems for gain. America exports culture to them, they export goods to us. Meanwhile, the military has to keep peace all over the place for the sake of streamlined trade.

This all costs money.

It's like the governor who promises to slash income taxes and aid to schools and cities, forcing the cities to raise sales taxes and the school districts to bump property taxes. All hail the governor! conservatives wail. Tighten your belts! they wail to communities and school districts as they vote down bond issues, street improvements and sales tax increases. So parks don't get mowed. Pools and libraries close. School education gets worse. Potholes don't get filled.

I suspect some conservatives know all this and simply don't give a shit, which is their right. Others, though, just don't think it through. They think: Not my money. Yeah, it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted