1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Google CEO: I Wish We Could Rescue Newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PeteyPirate, Jan 8, 2009.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It's nice to know he's at least thinking it as Google gobbles up all of the advertising dollars.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/01/07/technology/lashinsky_google.fortune/index.htm

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

"We also can't materially change the way consumers behave ... "

Yes, you can. Google's success is based on changing the way customers behave.

3. Mediator

Mediator Member

Aww, he does care. In a very, detached, bottom-line seeking, casual way.

4. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I can't imagine it'd be that difficult to force Google and similar outfits to cough up some money for the right to slap a paper's news content up in its 'Google News' section. Not if the sizeable papers and wire services demanded it. They're making money by reappropriating someone else's content. No reason they shouldn't pony up some cash in kind for it, the same as papers around the country pay to run AP copy.

But apparently that's not a good direction to take the business.

Instead, focus on amping up "reader comments" and BLOGS!

Because that's a better way to make money online.

Really.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

He's a successful executive with a very technical background, but he is no more qualified to talk about newspapers than Sam Zell was before he bought Tribune.

6. Mediator

Mediator Member

I did think it was interesting that he said the articles sent readers to the newspaper, which they could then "monetize." But eyeballs doen't equal dollars, which is the whole problem. And I hate the word monetize anyway. Harumph.

7. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Or, really, since he bought Tribune.

8. It's not his fault newspapers chose to give their product away for free online.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Oh, please - the last bastion of a bitter newspaper person is the "giving it away for free online" line. Anyway, check this out: http://www.yelvington.com/node/520

Also, how the Internet is not killing newspapers: http://www.yelvington.com/node/525

And take your site off Google, and watch the web hits decrease.

This is actually a pretty interesting Q&A. Schmidt says: "The good news is we could purchase them. We have the cash. But I don't think our purchasing a newspaper would solve the business problems. It would help solidify the ownership structure, but it doesn't solve the underlying problem in the business."

Basically, don't expect us to bail out the current poor management.

Draft saved Draft deleted