1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goofy minor league promotions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, May 3, 2017.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

A recent development has been teams changing their nickname (and uniforms) for one night, usually as some kind of food. The Triple-A Fresno Grizzlies like to play one night (?) a year as the Fresno Tacos, and this year the Albuquerque Isotopes will join the fun as they will play as the Green Chile Cheeseburgers against the Tacos.

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

My buddy won a clunker van at a Lake Elsinore Storm game (Padres Cal League team). The dealer gave him something like $200 on the spot to buy it back.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

So the cash for clunkers program was a success.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Reminds me of how I got food poisoned back in October 2008. Shit....

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I feel there's a missed opportunity to not have the Isotopes be Krusty burgers for one night.

OscarMadison and HanSenSE like this.
  6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The Grizzlies have never been a club to shy away from crazy promotional ideas. In addition to Taco Tuesday promotions, they have a "Taco Truck Throwdown" cookoff once a year - and this was before last year's presidential campaign. They've racheted it up over the last couple of years when they became the top farm club of the Astros after losing their affiliation with the Giants.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I want to be there when the Montgomery Biscuits give out free, well, biscuits. And it sho' would make this man feel happy to see white gravy on the side.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They launch them (plain) with air cannons. If you want gravy you'll have to get one from the concession stand.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. HanSenSE

10. Spartan Squad

Ok apart from the fact the team it's going to catch hell for the absolute misogyny of this idea, I have to question one part of this story

Salt Lake City is providing women to gawk at?

dixiehack likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

Apparently not.

12. Spartan Squad

Someone is going to have a hell of a "I got fired because" story

HanSenSE likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted