1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I know I'm applying this to modern times, but one thing I always thought was a little strange is how, during the "How am I funny?" scene, the Pesci character pulls out a gun and is jokingly waving it around.

Today, what would be the reaction of people in the restaurant if they saw a customer smash a bottle over the head of one guy, throw stuff at a waiter and then pull a gun out? Somehow, I'd doubt there would be laughter. There might be a panic.

Maybe back then, everyone knew who the mobsters were and knew not to call the police. I can't help but think today, there would be a half-dozen 911 calls with "A violent guy just hit two restaurant workers and has a gun!"

2. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

That restaurant was their hangout (like Artie Bucco's restaurant in the Sopranos). I'm pretty sure there are still places like that where people will know damn well not to call 911.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like Goodfellas, but not as much as the Godfathers.

Couple reasons:

Ray Liotta kind of creeps me out.

The Godfather scenes looked and felt more authentic. Goodfellas felt more like a bunch of guys acting.

Draft saved Draft deleted