1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodell Proposes Longer NFL Season (Continued)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Mar 26, 2009.

?

How Long Do You Think NFL Season Should Be?

1. Was Too Long At 14 Wks.

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  2. 16 Weeks, With A Bye (Currently)

24 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. 17 or 18 Weeks (As Commissioner Proposes)

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I guess your point is, the players should just roll over and take it, why bother to fight?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In 1982, the strike lasted seven weeks. In 1987, it fell apart because the networks televised the scab games and paid the league as if they were real games.
    I don't think that will happen again. The nets are under their own financial pressures. Of course, scab games could go on the NFL network. I'm sure ratings would soar.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, that's the thing. A game is a game as far as the owners as concerned. Doesn't matter whether its pre-season or regular season, unless they can find a way to raise prices. And if they have to increase salaries, they might even wind up shorter in the long run.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

A. Packed stadium for two games more as opposed to 40,000 for each of two exhibitions.

B. The TV contract will get jacked up.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not that they "should," but they don't really have a lot of viable options.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

That damn Jim Thorpe stole too many carries from him.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

My only question is -- if you are a running back or a linebacker or one of these high impact, shorter career positions -- why in God's name would you agree to one or even two more weeks of pounding on your body? The player's union would be asinine to accept this proposal.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Expanding to 18 would do a couple of things, give the better teams two more games against two better opponents, and the crappier teams two more winnable games (right now there are only two games that are scheduled according to team strength). Don't have a problem with it if they kill the Injured Reserve and make it more of a DL. I can see teams sitting any player listed anything worse than probable, I also think two more games would change the ways teams structure rosters, giving an emphasis to quantity of decent players than top-quality players. Might also be the only way Goodell will be able to jack up the next TV contract.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The 1972 Dolphins aren't even for it.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

How many times has the NFL player's union made the right call?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Look at the leadership. They weren't exactly being led by Lech Walesa, if you know what I mean.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Here's a fantastic anecdote from today's Phil Mushnick column:

Draft saved Draft deleted