1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

goodell admits 'i didn't get it right'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Aug 28, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Everything is nebulous. Except for the drug policies, which are pretty clearly spelled out, the whole thing runs on "because I said so."

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Got it.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

$42 million a year doesn't buy what it used to in a CEO.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember reading in Stefan Fatsis' book on the Broncos that in Colorado, the cops had to make an arrest for domestic violence even if both people said nothing happened, and that usually, they would pick the guy.

The way this is now spelled out, someone could accuse a Broncos player on two separate times, the police have to arrest him, and even if they are innocent, the guy's career could be over.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The police need probable cause to believe that a crime was committed to arrest someone.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That was the most awkward 10 min or so I've ever heard on the Mike & Mike show, and that's saying something.

7. LongTimeListener

Nope. That's a pretty standard provision of the law now -- all domestic calls must end with an arrest. According to this link, it's the law in 21 states.

http://www.saveservices.org/dvlp/policy-briefings/what-are-the-state-laws-that-mandate-arrest-for-dv-assault/

8. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a few years ago when the Dodgers happened to be in Pittsburgh when the G20 Summit was being held there. A writer asked a player what he felt about G20 and he said he just preferred the regular Gatorade.

9. LongTimeListener

#FreePalestine was outstanding in that regard, too.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

the people who do, are too stupid to matter.
    How about a few rules for reporting:
    not every opinion is worth repeating
    points of view are not equal
    a fact without context is just a word in a dictionary

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That link doesn't say that the fourth amendment is optional in the case of domestic violence. Look at the states one by one in that link. They all specify an arrest when there is probable cause. It's one of our most basic rights. The police can't just automatically arrest people without cause.

If the cops show up and there is no accuser -- what Baron said (both people said nothing happened) -- barring some OTHER reason that points to a crime having been committed, at best any arrest is going to get thrown out and piss off a judge, and at worst, it might lead to action against the police department for false arrest.

12. LongTimeListener

That is not true. I also know it's the case in Wisconsin that calls must end in arrest. I believe it was happening a little bit before O.J., but after that it became trendy as everyone started asking why in the hell he wasn't arrested on one of the many previous incidents police were at the house.

The idea is that the arrest cools the situation down for a few hours. Here's another link, and one that shows pretty clearly that the arrest has the exact opposite effect -- it causes the arrested person to get very angry and the number of deaths or injuries that happen after that increases dramatically.

For some three decades in the United States, it's been standard practice in many areas for police officers to make arrests in most cases of alleged intimate partner violence, whether or not victims ask for them.

http://www.thecrimereport.org/news/inside-criminal-justice/2014-05-domestic-violence-policing-for-wed-icj

But again, it is common police practice. It may get kicked out of court, but that's for down the road. I know this was a huge problem in my hometown because our local paper prints the public record of arrests, and people were in there all the time for incidents that got dismissed as soon as they got in front of a judge.

Draft saved Draft deleted