1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye U of Oregon wrestling and don't let the door hit you on the way out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 22, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Funny. I can still picture this state champion I covered a few years back. I swear, he was Chute from Vision Quest brought to live. He just beat the hell out of his opponents and I can imagine you wouldn't want to piss him off.

Then there was the other state champion who used to moon teammates as they got interviewed because he wanted all the attention for himself, or jump in and start asking questions (actually they were pretty good questions). He also once dumped his youth wrestling coach, who was a paraplegic, out of his wheelchair. The coach also happened to be the kid's father.

Of course, I also dealt with some great kids who were wrestlers. Those two just came to mind when I read your post.

2. Tomorrow, I will bring in some flies and we can tear off their wings!
    Yeesh.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

UO is dropping wrestling? "Stunned" is my one-word response. Oregon is one of those states best described as mat-crazy --- first time I ever saw a "mat light" (looks like a UFO, hangs about 20 feet over the mat) was up that way and folks were trying to re-invent Portland's old Memorial Coliseum as the center of the sport in the Pacific Northwest. I can't imagine that this is going to go over well up there.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe Uncle Phil will change his mind if Oregon State wins a national championship.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that was funny because it's true.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I agree and endorse everything Big Red said. That kid, for punishment, need to sit and watch the 2009 state wrestling tournament...four days straight. I'm sure a puny 95 lbs 8th grader from Gilbertville-Don Bosco can whip his ass.

7. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

?

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oregon's wrestling singlets this season were black. Oregon has incorporated black into almost every one of its uniforms/warmups in the past several years, and is talking about adding a black football helmet, even though Oregon State's official school colors have been black and orange for nearly 100 years.

That's the equivalent of Tennessee wearing crimson, or Duke wearing Carolina blue.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fen thinks we're picking on the little dork who had the balls to write the column.

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Why don't some of you put your entirely fact-based, college-paper columns up on this site? Don't forget the mug shots, too - let's crush your ego while we burst your dreams.

I never wrote columns in college - too hard to back up what I would want to say. But anybody I know who did, at my school and at others, wrote nothing but emotion-driven opinion pieces anyway. I haven't looked recently, but I bet this isn't uncommon.

Either put up or shut up.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

First of all, this is an anonymous website, so that's an unfair approach for most of the people on this board.

Secondly, nobody is saying their own shit has never stunk. They are saying this particular piece of shit stinks....and it does.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I'm well aware of both charges. Of course, I don't expect anyone to open themselves up to critique. But your second reason says it all - this particular piece stinks, and everyone has written something that's perceived as bad by several others. Why start down that path?

Draft saved Draft deleted