1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye fantasy baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oggiedoggie, Jun 14, 2007.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Fantasy game operators -- ESPN, Yahoo, etc. -- have been paying millions of dollars licensing fees to MLBPA, NFLPA and NBA (which licenses player rights) for more than a decade. The landscape of fantasy sports from a user standpoint would change very little, if at all, due to a ruling in favor of either party.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Regardless of who pays what now, it's still a shitty move.

3. hey, maybe it's a good idea

if MLB is successful, some of these fantasy geeks can go out and get a life now

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

There you go making sense again. :D

5. cranberry

It's not about who owns the data, which is in the public domain. It's about the ability to use players names in association with that data for a predominantly commercial purpose (as opposed to first amendment-protected products like newspapers, etc.). Essentially, the argument is that the players add value to the product; that the numbers are brought to life through their individual performances. The players don't see it as any different than a board game like Strat-o-matic. The legal term is "right of publicity."

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the panel of judges didn't seem inclined to side with MLB on this one.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Exactly.

Be VERY fucking careful, baseball.

It's more than 50 percent of the reason I watch the sport.

8. cranberry

We have no idea what was on the minds of the judges, nor did the AP reporter who wrote a story that doesn't begin to describe the case in legal terms.

And again, fantasy baseball doesn't go away or even change very much, regardless of which side wins this case.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Really? I pulled this from the initial post. It sounds like the judges have indeed expressed something of an opinion:

A federal appeals panel of three judges seemed skeptical that MLB could take financial control of a game that uses publicly available statistics and widely known names of players.

"MLB is like a public religion. Everyone knows (the players') names and what they look like," said U.S. Judge Morris Arnold. "This is just part of being an American, isn't it?"

10. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

Every time I think baseball can't shit on its fans any more than it already does, I read something like this. Whether it's Bud Lite or the union pushing for this, I can't think of a more short-sighted attitude. Fantasy baseball brings more attention to the game, which can lead to more revenue. Why would you turn off a large segment of your fan base (and risk the loss of cash down the road) to get an up-front licensing fee?
    It doesn't make sense.

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

It's amazing to me that they'd even try to pull this crap. But, I guess the greed of multimillionaires never ends.

Draft saved Draft deleted