1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Goodbye Dixie, with love ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by three_bags_full, Nov 10, 2009.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The people who would be creeped out by the chant would be creeped out by Ole Miss in general. You can take away every flag and chant you want, but the Old South atmosphere and mindset is embedded in the school's DNA.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Wait, you just backtracked on our conversation because you suddenly decided that this was a better response than the previous one you gave?

Well, if at first you don't succeed, request a do-over. And, to be honest, that doesn't really cut it either. Because intolerant speech should not be tolerated, no matter how many capital letters you use to scream that it should.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This isn't a freedom of speech question - there is no freedom to hear the marching band play a song.

4. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

True, there's no Constitutional right to be able to ad-lib to a song at a football game. No students rights are violated by this directive, and the fact that they were warned the song would be removed if they couldn't control their outburst and yet they continued to do it, says those kids don't care about having the song anyway. They just care about getting attention.

Also, I don't have to poll those morons who were unwilling to let that phrase go to see what their mindset was in order to know whether the phrase "the South will raise again," is offensive. I know plenty of people who are offended by the comment (and with Ole Miss' history that shouldn't be a surprise), so it is, therefore, offensive.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I haven't checked, but did zag and hondo get this fired up about the Redskins kicking out fans who held up anti-Dan Snyder signs? Or when the Yankees booted that dude who needed to piss during "God Bless America" during the seventh-inning stretch?

The students are welcome to chant "The South will rise again" all they want outside the stadium. But they don't have the right to chant it inside the stadium.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I apologize if I called them "anti-intellectual". I think stupid or moronic works better.

You can hold all the crackpot opinions you want--just don't expect them to carry any validity outside your own head.

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

This should just about end this "discussion."

This whole business is a whole lot of to-do about not very much. A bunch of drunk Ole Miss frat boys start shouting something at a football game that is vaguely perceived as racist by this prissy little prick Ole Miss hired as chancellor and suddenly it becomes a BFD. Khayat simply ignored it and nobody gave a shit, but Jones comes in, gets his panties in a wad and suddenly people start taking notice and start taking sides. And the Kappa Sigs and Sigma Nubes who started the whole thing say thank you very much for all the attention.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"If you want to drink and you want to screw, come on down to Sigma Nu"

Always classy. Always.

9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Exactly the point I was trying to make, and one that zag continues to ignore.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's the land of the free! I can shout racist things all I want!

Not at Ole Miss.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is not perceived as racist. It is racist. Some of the idiots chanting it might be too ignorant to know that, but it is racist. All the little rhetorical games in the world won't change that.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Now that you bring it up, I think anyone with an anti-Dan Snyder sign should be applauded, not booted. Bonus points for hitting the little shit over the head with the sign.

Draft saved Draft deleted