1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Will Hunting

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, May 31, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

He was the bomb in Phantoms, though.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Affleck could play the shark from Jaws.

3. Like the back of a Volkswagon?

(That's all I've got)

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

He was great in Dogma, but after that, his career's been sort of eh.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'm sorry to drag you away from whatever gay, serial killer on horseback movie you were shooting this week.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

His acting in Chasing Amy proved to me he has some serious chops. And I agree with DD that the Bennifer saga, replete with Gigli, helped derail his career for several years.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I love that movie, SC.

Chasing Amy is also in my top 10 -- maybe five. And it's mostly because of Affleck.

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

While not in my Top 10, GWH is a really fine movie. I watch it every now and again, and still enjoy it.

As for Affleck, he showed some acting talent in his higher-minded choices like "Hollywoodland" and "Changing Lanes." "Gigli," "Reindeer Games" and whatever the hell that Philip K. Dick adaptation/monstrosity was, not so much.

If "Gone Baby Gone" is any indication, he's set for much better things behind the camera. I think he bought the rights to most of Lehane's books.

9. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

According to imdb, BigSleeper, Marty Scorsese is filming Lehane's "Shutter Island." Now that is something I'll be looking forward to.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've always thought that Kevin Smith wrote parts specifically for Affleck, playing to his strengths and downplaying his weaknesses. I really think Hayden in CA is essentially Ben Affleck. He's not so much acting as playing a version of himself.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

"gwh" is a terrific film. first time, every time for me. a must-see for anyone who appreciates first-rate screenwriting.

i'm no affleck basher, either. i think he's quite talented. any man good enough for jen garner is good enough for me. 8) 8) 8)

12. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Love Good Will Hunting. It's in my top 10 as well. Robin Williams is incredible in this movie. I thought Affleck would be the next big thing in Hollywood after seeing it about 10 years ago. But he's chosen some horrible movies (Daredevil, Gigli, Surving Christmas) and some mediocre ones (Hollywoodland, Smokin' Aces). He's extremely talented and Gone, Baby Gone was the most pleasant surprise of 2007 for me. His two best movies he's been involved in were ones he wrote, so I suggest he starts penning more scripts and avoiding the bores he usually gets cast in.

Draft saved Draft deleted