1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Will Hunting

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, May 31, 2008.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Then why not say, "hey, I haven't caught that flick. I'd really like to."?

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Because I didn't think anyone would jump ugly over a statement of fact.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I saw it with my first ex because she was a huge Affleck fan. I think I was a senior in high school; maybe a freshman in college. But it was about six years since I'd seen it, and I really had the craving, so I bought it. It made that big an impression on me so long ago. I thought that was very unique.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's probably in my top 10 of all time...

Love the film.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Have you seen any movies that have come out in the past 15 years that don't involve:

A.) South Park
    B.) The mob
    C.) A movie you PURPORTEDLY assaulted the lead actor for a refund over

?

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Hockeybeat,

I really, really recommend you see this flick. You know how some people think that Catcher in the Rye speaks to them? Or they walk around with a dog-earned copy of Dharma Bums? Or cannot stop quoting Pulp Fiction?

Well GWH was like that for me. When I felt kind of lost in my early 20s, this flick really made me believe that I was going to find my purpose. Damon's character deals with some of the same issues you and and I have both struggled with, and in many ways it's also an ode to friendship. Although Damon is clearly the superior actor overall, the friendship between Will and Chucky really makes this movie, and there is a scene at the end where Chucky is standing on Will's porch that features no words, just a look by Affleck -- a mixture of joy and sadness -- that might be my favorite scene in the film. Go rent it. You won't be disappointed.

I have a friend a lot like Will. He was my best friend in high school. He's absolutely brilliant, and it's not an exaggeration to say he almost rises to the level of genius. I used to think he was going to end up being a Supreme Court Justice. But he was terrified to leave our small home town. He thinks he's happier seeing our same friends and walking the same streets we did as a kid. He fears success more than failure. We watched this movie in college, and it really spoke to me. It made me realize I needed to leave to find myself. It made him even more convinced he didn't want to leave.

I wonder sometimes what our lives would be like if we switched places.

It's one of those movies that will always mean a lot to me.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Affleck really did show his talent in it, but it's too bad that his career has failed to live up to its potential.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If Affleck never gets into a seedy tabloid relationship with Jennifer Lopez, where both of them basically whored themselves and their relationship, for attention, I think we'd view Affleck much differently. He was in some crappy films, but he's clearly a smart guy. Gone Baby, Gone was a great film, and I don't understand why it wasn't more popular. If Clint Eastwood's name had appeared on the bill as the director, I'm absolutely convinced it would have gotten a best picture nomination. Affleck is still being punished for the Lopez stuff.

9. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Might be cliche, but Damon went on to become an actor while Affleck became a movie star. Big difference. But maybe with Gone Baby Gone, Ben's getting back on the right track.

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I think Affleck made some poor acting choices. He took some roles that he didn't have the chops for. He has leading man looks, but talent-wise he's more of a supporting guy.

And yea, the whole Bennifer thing made him box office poison.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I love Lehane, and the book was great, but for some reason I haven't gotten around to seeing the movie yet, though it's definitely on my list. But considering how popular Mystic River was, you're probably right. I agree about the Lopez thing--everybody considered him to be a serious actor until he became tabloid fodder.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

As I'm sure you probably know, SC, Kevin Smith said that was the one reason Jersey Girl didn't do so well. I thought it was an excellent movie, and so did Smith, obviously, and it's a shame it never got the recognition it deserved.

Draft saved Draft deleted