1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good way to bring up bullying or does this TV anchor make a story about them?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Thought a lot more about this.

I get a lot of cracks about my weight on twitter. And, really, it's my own fault. I grew up as a "stick," a guy who could eat whatever he wanted and not gain anything. When I was 19, I injured my knee and gained a shitload of weight, kept it on (at varying degrees) until I was 34.

Using the NHL lockout, I put myself into really good shape and kept it until I got lazy when I was 37. Now, I'm fed up at myself again and am working at it; getting there. I blame no one but myself and my own laziness for the problem.

With the overall issue of obesity, most people are in my position. There are some out there with legitimate health issue complicating matters but the majority are making excuses. You can make all of the excuses you want, but it comes down to your own willingness to "make time."

The anchor is at fault -- like I am -- for allowing this happen. But, my sympathy exists for her because I bet she KNOWS that, just like I do. It is my greatest frustration. I look in the mirror and say, "Why did I let myself get this way?"

It doesn't mean, however, others should have free licence to be cruel about it. Now, I have a very thick skin. I've blocked one person on twitter who just wouldn't stop and generally don't respond. You can't let people get to you. But, I know what it's like to get so much "traffic" about it that you want to fight back. There have been a couple of times where I sent a direct twitter message mocking the look of the person who sent it to me, and regretted it. Most of the time, I've been this close to the "send" button, only to pull myself back. (Although the two people I ripped back never came after me again.)

Ruckus and I have zero use for one another, but, I can understand his reaction to the email when mine was much milder. If you've got 30 of these in your twitter feed or inbox, you can snap. It is hurtful, because you already feel terribly about it yourself.

I get snide anonymous comments about my looks, hair, etc. all the time. None of that stuff bothers me. But weight does, because, for fuck's sake, it shouldn't be as bad as it is. So, I really have to fight not to respond in kind. But, I can understand how a message that might seem mild can be the catalyst when you get so many of them.

She's milking it, that's for sure. I don't like that at all. And, like me, it's probably her fault for not being as healthy as she could be. But, I've been there. You're disappointed in yourself, but you don't need others pointing it out.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If the guy sent one email, he's a dick, not a bully.

If he sent dozens of emails, or had publicly harassed her, it would be different. But he didn't (as far as I know).

She's the one (through her husband) who made the email public and then call more attention to the situation with this editorial.

I think the excuse that she's talking about it because of the problems with bullying is weak. I think she wanted to vent, embarrass the emailer, and garner some sympathy.

I also don't think it's right to compare weight issues to race, sexual orientation, or disability.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

She's a morning show talker at a random Midwestern CBS affiliate. Her job in essence is to be a personality that draws attention (and thus ratings). I'd say she did a damn good job here, intended or not. I sincerely doubt she's going on a soapbox rant every morning between pimping the lung cancer walk and announcing school closings. If she starts now, the marketplace will tune her out quickly.

I do give credit to the station for keeping her on air all these years. A lot of places would have fired her well before reaching Lane Bryant territory.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Commenter Jumblebums could fit in nicely over here.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, that's the other thing.

A female news anchor is going to get worked up by an email? You want to pick a fight, how about looking at your own profession.

Now that would take guts.

And, the station, which is getting a lot of credit in this situation for giving her this platform, would never allow such introspection.

6. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

The way I see it, Dick, smoking is a pure choice.

Obesity is not *always* a choice.

It can be, but in some cases it's not.

When I call someone out for smoking, I could give a rat's about them. I am calling them out because it has an impact on me.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

No one answered, because your scenario is impossible today.

Those studio buildings don't/can't allow smoking, and it's not accepted practice.

8. Dick: As someone started to say earlier in this thread, smoking is typically addressed by either complaints (your smoking makes it stink near me) or legitimate health concerns, either for the smoker his/herself or those around via second-hand smoke. Obesity is most commonly addressed via hurtful insult. There, I believe, is the difference.

Ragu: YOU don't think this should be a big deal to her, relative to other complaints/threats she may receive. Wonderful. How about her? What hurts HER feelings? Maybe she's more bothered by being called fat than she is when someone threatens to burn her house down. Does that make her wrong? What about the thousands of other girls who are insulted every day because of their weight? What about THEIR feelings? Is it your - or my - place to tell them what comments they should and should not be bothered by? Or what causes they should or should not champion?

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Smoking is doing. Overweight is being. If she were eating a Twix between sentences or talking with her mouth full, the crumbs tumbling out of her mouth, then it'd be an apt comparison.

10. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

She's a working mother of three young children. A leading cause of obesity in women? Pregnancy.

Also, I think a lot of you are missing the timeline on this. She didn't get a mean email and immediately respond with four minutes of air time.

She got a mean email. She disregarded it. Her husband, who is also an anchor at the station, didn't let it go. He posted it to his professional Facebook page. It got a tremendous response. The community was discussing it. To not address the situation would have been an omission in news coverage in that community. Because she did such a fantastic job, it went viral.

And the "concerned citizen" showed what a douchebag he is with a follow-up message. This clearly wasn't a one-off situation.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't say a thing about what should be a big deal to her or what should or should not hurt her feelings. Please reread my posts.

It was an asshole e-mail no matter how you slice it. If I got that e-mail, my response would be, "What an asshole."

I said that an e-mail from a douche did not warrant a 4+ minute on air editorial in the guise of of a "bullying" public service announcement, and the 15 minutes of fame she is riding. She wasn't bullied. A jerk sent her a douchy e-mail. Life goes on.

Her feelings were hurt? OK. If hurt feelings over an e-mail like that lead to that kind of on-air response, she really shouldn't be in that business. Because as lots of people have pointed out, that was relatively tame compared to the types of nasty letters, e-mails and phone calls people who choose to put themselves in the public eye get.

12. You're still missing my point. That was relatively tame compared to other types of nasty correspondence ... in your view. And clearly others here. That's fine. But obviously it's not as tame to her. Why is your perspective right and hers is wrong?

Also, she obviously saw this as an opportunity to talk about a cause, which is girls/women being mocked and/or bullied because of their weight. When you get a douchebag call/email/letter that says you're biased or stupid or belong dead in a ditch, there's not much of a cause there to take up. This case is totally different.

Whether this letter actually constituted bullying, whether the reporter should have made herself the story - those are very real discussions worth having.
    Just saying she should have sucked it up and ignored it, IMO, is short-sighted.

Draft saved Draft deleted