1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good way to bring up bullying or does this TV anchor make a story about them?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spikechiquet, Oct 2, 2012.

1. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I don't see how a 4:21 standup commentary "flys" in TV when it's all about the anchor, but this is a small-market Wisconsin town. So what do I know?

http://www.upworthy.com/bully-calls-news-anchor-fat-news-anchor-destroys-him-on-live-tv

I will give her this...she makes a lot of good points and it took some guts to do this.

2. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

It took guts, but the original email was not exactly inflammatory in my opinion. It was probably insensitive and showed a lack of fore thought, but he never called her ''fat'' or used derisive terms. It probably was a subtle form of bullying, but I think her response was over the top. That's just me.

I'm a television producer and can't see our station doing something like this; and I know our anchors have received harsher, more mean-spirited emails than that.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

heh heh heh

4. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

Totally unintended, but well played.

By the way, this is the original email:

Hi Jennifer,

It's unusual that I see your morning show, but I did so for a very short time today. I was surprised indeed to witness that your physical condition hasn't improved for many years. Surely you don't consider yourself a suitable example for this community's young people, girls in particular. Obesity is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain. I leave you this note hoping that you'll reconsider your responsibility as a local public personality to present and promote a healthy lifestyle.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

It was about as backhandedly mean and catty as you can get. Sure, the letter didn't call her a fat fuck, but it might as well have.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

That email was pretty tame, which shows you how brave people are from other end of a keyboard. I could stand to lose 10 pounds myself -- and the emails I get are far, far worse.

7. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Meh. Should the email have been sent? Probably not. Doesn't make what was said true to a certain extent. Being in the media means you live a public life and if you are going to be on TV you do set a bad example by being over weight. Not really your responsibility but a bad example nonetheless.

8. It's not any worse an example than your typical beautiful, busty blond TV anchor or weather person who obviously had work done and decides to show it off with a tight-fitting dress.

This woman certainly took this email to another level than it was intended. But she was pretty brave, in my opinion, to do so for what she thought to be the greater good in the message on bullying. 9 out of 10 people would have avoided any unnecessary embarrassment and deleted the email but she saw it as an opportunity. Good for her.

9. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Probably a little of both, but I'm all for anything that reminds people of the importance of civility ... whether it's an intensely personal email to someone the writer doesn't even know, or comments on stories. (It's a losing battle, I know.)

What I don't like is how it has inflated into a national story. The reporter in question lost a bit of my respect when she started appearing on network newscasts and morning shows. That's when it became a long swim in Lake Me. It would have made the quiet impact necessary if she had done her thing on her channel and then moved on instead of turning it into a cause celebre.

Now, she's just going to get a lot more nasty comments from every time zone instead of just one heartless one from a mouthbreathing knuckle dragger in Market 189.

And average folks will just shake their heads, because they think "rich media people" want the public to relate to their "problems."

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if she hasn't stepped outside the box, so to speak, and turned her position into a bully pulpit.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Would anyone not be offended of that email was sent to your wife, girlfriend, mom, etc.?

12. dieditor

dieditor Member

Hell yes. My wife bears a striking resemblance to that newscaster, and I know I'd lose my shit. But there's no way I'd put it on Facebook and turn this into an anti-bullying crusade. Why? Because my wife would in no way, shape or form want that kind of attention placed on her.

Is that the right move for a husband to make? I don't know, and I don't know what conversations went on in their house. But I'd respect my wife's wishes and ignore it.

Draft saved Draft deleted