1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good read on Marshall Henderson

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You're a moron. But you'd have a tough time on the Moron Board, too.

2. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

You just said his drinking would alarm you. Why?

Most college kids, even athletes, drink.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Yeah ... right. Tell your wife, sister or mother that if someone called them a ho, it would be okay if they didn't mean it negatively.

Ho is about as negative as it gets to a woman, at least one with any kind of self-esteem.

And I'm sorry ... college kids drink but you'd be hard-pressed to find any coach in America who would put up with a kid drinking less than 24 hours before an NCAA tournament.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Christ, do you have a clue about anything? Most college kids drink. Most college athletes have the common sense not to get plowed the night before a tournament game.

Oh, right ... you're under the assumption he had only one. Natch.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

First of all, I'd simply like the Mississippi media to do their damn job.
    And can we please stop excusing bad behavior? It's not BFD when a college kid double-flips the crowd off on camera after a loss. It would be a guaranteed suspension with any college coach with whom I've dealt -- and that's been a lot.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Apparently not, since we didn't see 12-13 reports of such incidents this season.

The rest of your (unquoted by me) post reads like the ramblings of an aging schoolmarm.

7. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

This is just ME, but my interpretation is that a different reporter learned some things that he or she was afraid or unwilling or unable to publish. And that said reporter communicated those facts, upon the condition of anonymity. This may not be laziness; this may be confirmation of the repeated accusation that the local media is complicit.

I have ZERO IDEA what the truth it, but just trying to think why the writer would use an unusual construction as such.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If that's the case, that should have been mentioned as it fortifies the shallow viewpoint of the writer, and the attribution was poor and disingenuous. But I don't get a sense the writer was privvy to any inside access, even in the Mississippi news media.

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Cleveland would have been all over this. It was a sad day for Mississippi sports journalism when Rick left, though I completely understand why he did it.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Mashek, too.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Like I said, if a newspaper or someone else wrote this piece or something like it, Craggs or Scocca would have destroyed it. I was mistaken, though: It's actually Petchesky.

http://tinyurl.com/cvazskw

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Still using tinyurl.com?

Draft saved Draft deleted