1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Podcasts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cadet, Nov 12, 2006.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

holy shit! i didn't know that. i love this american life! awesome... i'm going to look it up now. thanks man

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

del, you made my day. it's now on there...

i absolutely love podcasting... in march i got a new car stereo that has a direct connect to the ipod (this badboy -- http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/product.php?model=CDA-9856) and i got a nano to go along with my big ipod (biggie and smalls) -- the nano is nice, because it's mostly podcasts and about 6 cds worth of music. that way i don't have to scroll through my entire collection to get to what i want... i load it up pretty much daily. it's awesome. lots more podcasts since then

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Do you have to pay for that, or is it available to the unwashed masses?

----------

Keeping with my Grauniad theme, their daily NewsDesk podcast is also well worth a listen.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/podcasts

4. Not sure if you can save the shows, but I love listening to www.wefunkradio.com. It's a show out of McGill U. in Montreal. Great mix of hip-hop, funk, soul and, occasionally, blues and jazz.

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Glad to help. I don't think it's been up there very long. I never dabbled in the podcast pool until I bought my Nano recently. I didn't think I'd enjoy them as much as I do. I probably have listened to podcast five times more than music on my iPod.

Now, if they'd only put more of Whad'ya Know on a podcast than the first five minutes ...

6. Good recommendations all on the podcasts. I've been using my iPod more and more for them, though I keep it chock full of tunes.

My particular must-listens include:

_ This American Life
    _ Garrison Keillor's The Writer's Almanac (a daily 5-minute or so look at which writer has a birthday, some detail on his or her life, along with a random poem_
    _ A Prairie Home Companion (not the entire show, just Keillor's weekly letter from home that I find so hilarious and moving)
    _ SMODCast which is a weekly offering by Kevin Smith (he of Clerks fame) and his producing partner Scott Mosier. It's laugh aloud funny and weird. It's all real-life stuff and the two talk about making films, then and now, life and anything else.
    _ The Onion Radio News (no explanation needed)
    _ The Sound of Young America (great weekly show)
    _ Kasper Hauser (a comedy group with a satirical bent)
    _ CBC Radio: Dispatches (foreign news from one of the best radio broadcasters around, the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.)
    _ BBC's From Our Foreign Correspondent (The be all and end all of radio news)
    _ Lastly, NPR's Foreign Dispatch.

They can all be found on iTunes or as .xml feeds on their respective Web sites for use.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I've found a new one that's interesting, although I've only listened to one and a snippet of another on This American Life. It's called Radio Lab and it's put out by WNYC. Here's their description:

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

This year, the Guardian's soccer podcast is twice a week. Those guys are great.

9. Does anyone have a good hockey podcast they recommend?

10. maberger

maberger Member

this american life is the balls. i also really enjoy studio 360 from kurt anderson. it's at itunes.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Damn...logged on just to give Harry some love. He uncovers stories that are totally ignored by the main stream media.

I'll throw out there ScientificAmerican's weekly podcast. Dude has a strange voice but they cover interesting topics.

Draft saved Draft deleted