1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good place to eat in the Big Apple

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Peytons place, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Making my first trip to New York City next month with my sister. We're both a couple of Southern gals, who have never been there before, but would like to do a relatively fancy dinner one night. We'll be staying near Rockefeller Center and should be in walking distance to Times Square, and would like something we can walk to, since we won't have a car. I know prices are probably pretty high and we want something nice and unique, but won't have to refinance our home for.

Anyway, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, because I don't really know anyone from there who would have any idea, and have no idea myself where to even look for such a place.

Thanks.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

sbarro

3. beanpole

beanpole Member

beat me to it! :)

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Seriously, ask a beat cop where they eat.

That rule has gotten me some great grub in a lot of cities.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Those who live in the city will I'm sure be along shortly to give you some good suggestions. One thing I would say is that you shouldn't limit yourself to something within walking distance since you don't have a car. The subway is very easy and cheap to use and that will open up your options a lot.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If you want pizza, go Grimaldi's. It's near the Brooklyn Bridge, though.

Near Times Square? I'd suggest 'ino. That was quite nice.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Darn, where's that thread listing the women of sj? We can add one now.

:D Seriously, I've been to some small Japanese restaurants in my visits, some little more than noodle places, but great authentic flair. There's also an Argentine buffet place (somewhat pricey) where they bring different meats to your table.

8. Here's the list jgmacg sent me before the wife and I went two years ago.

We ate at a nice place called BLT Steak on New Year's Eve. Great food, but I think I threw down $220 after tip.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Applebee's
    234 W. 42nd St.

10. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

If you like Mediterranean food at all, I recommend Kefi - very good stuff and easy to reach with either a quick subway ride or a short cab ride from where you are.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/kefi/

11. topsheep

topsheep Member

For good Jewish deli food, Sarge's Deli on 3rd Ave between 40th and 50th (I can't remember exactly where, but I'm pretty sure it's in that range).

12. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

It's been a long time, but I had a very memorable meal at One If By Land, Two If By Sea.

Draft saved Draft deleted