1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Ole Mountain Dew Racist Ad Pulled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 2, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I looked and did not see this anywhere on sj ect, ect
    Please stay away from politics , ect ect.

Mountain Dew has pulled an ad that was deemed racist.
    Can't believe anyone thought this was a good idea:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/05/mountain-dew-pulls-racist-ad-created-by-hip-hop-artist/

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Fuck them if they can't take a joke or get a job

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Clearly the creator of this ad hates black people.

4. Boom_70

Personally I think ad is funny as hell but in the politically correct world we live in, major companies just should not be playing in this arena. Your bound to offend some group.

5. printit

printit Member

1. The ad was created by a black man.
    2. The black men in the police line-up were personal friends of the creator of the ad.
    3. The perpetrator of the crime depicted in the ad was not any of the aforementioned black men, but a goat.

What, exactly, is the criticism? That all of the men in the line-up are black? They had to be some color, and there wouldn't be much point in a line-up with white men and black men. Does the ad perpetuate stereotypes about black men? I think it can more reasonably be interpreted as a criticism of police officers to assume a black man is guilty whenever a crime is committed. What a stupid controversy.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Gotta say, I loved my Fritos and my Frito Bandito pencil eraser as a kid.

[​IMG]

7. Boom_70

The victim was a battered white women. The criticism is that the ad plays on the stereotypes. As said previously I thought the ad was funny. It had a bit of Mel Brooks style humor.

Its a different world today. I doubt that Blazing Saddles would have ever been made. Big companies just can't afford to put themselves out there any more with edgy advertising.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

What the hell is the problem with that ad?

My God are people fucking idiotic and yes, once again -- a nation of wusses.

I kept waiting for some racist thing to happen in that and am still waiting.

Are you shitting me?

Give me a fucking break.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd have that face, too, if somebody shoved the equivalent of a telephone pole up my ass.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

All I see is a shitty ad.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The first two words of the ABC News piece said it all: "One commentator..."
    When are people going to stop tucking tail and running the second one dumbass gets their panties in a bunch?

The commercial itself has a lot of problems, but racism ain't one. It's rather stupid and not very funny. I'd even listen if you said it promoted violence against women, what with the beating of the waitress and subsequent intimidation during the lineup. But racist? That's a stretch. The guy complaining seems to be one of those folks who reads racism into anything, like the guy who complains that pool is racist because the object is to hit and effectively neutralize a black ball with a white one.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So Starman is responsible for getting this ad pulled?

Draft saved Draft deleted